Plotting particle trajectories in ParaView

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
ffan

Plotting particle trajectories in ParaView

Post by ffan »

Hi Code_Saturne users and developers,

I work on the pulverized coal combustion example case following the example manual. Section 8.1 of the manual is on outputting the particle trajectories. After the case is run, we have PARTICLE.case and particles.geo.00001, particles.geo.00002, particles.geo.00003, ... in the postprocessing direction.
Then, how do we plot the particle trajectories in ParaView? Thank you.

- ffan
Yvan Fournier

Re: Plotting particle trajectories in ParaView

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I'm not sure ParaView can directly plot trajectories, at least in the Code_Saturne case (most particle-oriented formats such as h5part or associated viewers assume a constant number of particles). You can activate a dedicated trajectory writer an associate a trajectory mesh (a succession of segments) in the Code_Saturne GUI, so check this...

Regards,

Yvan
ffan

Post by ffan »

Hi Yvan,

Thank you. After creating a trajectory writer and associating a trajectory mesh to it (see attached pictures), I should have trajectory files (trajectories.00001, trajectories.00002, trajectories.00003, ...) generated in the postprocessing directory, right? But, I don't see such files being generated. I use v4.0.5 on Ubuntu. Thank you for helps.

- ffan
Attachments
Particle mesh.png
Writer.png
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

You also need to set the type of the trajectory writer to "trajectory" (and not particles). The type is actually more important than the name.

Regards,

Yvan
ffan

Post by ffan »

Thanks. I get trajectories now.

- ffan