Uninitialized Parameters

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Charles Warner

Uninitialized Parameters

Post by Charles Warner »

I am attempting to help an associate troubleshoot a Code_Saturne case.  He is running 1.3.3.  The program gets through the preporcessor OK, but hangs with the following errors:

==5770== Command: /tmp//tmp_Saturne/RECTANGULAR.CAS1.05251140/cs13.exe -iasize 1000000 -rasize 10000000 -param RECTANGULAR.xml
==5770==
==5770== Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
==5770== at 0x5484CD: stdtcl_ (in /tmp/tmp_Saturne/RECTANGULAR.CAS1.05251140/cs13.exe)
==5770== by 0x4CD3AF: tridim_ (in /tmp/tmp_Saturne/RECTANGULAR.CAS1.05251140/cs13.exe)
==5770== by 0x452CBA: caltri_ (in /tmp/tmp_Saturne/RECTANGULAR.CAS1.05251140/cs13.exe)

I can find nothing in the documentation or here on the forums that tell me what "stdtcl_", "tridim_", and "caltri_" values are, or where they should be initiated.  Can someone point me in the right direction to identify these variables?

Charlie
Yvan Fournier

Re: Uninitialized Parameters

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

CALTRI , TRIDIM, and STDTCL are Fortran subroutines, built as caltri_, tridim_ and stdtcl_ by the Fortran compiler. Here, Valgrind is telling you that you have a test based on an uniitialzed value in STDTCL, called by CALTRI. To know more, you would need to run the test on a debuig build (for Code_Saturne 1.3, one built with "./lance_install -DBG" instead of "./lance_install"), in which case Valgrind woulf give you the line numbers at which it detects an issue. At this point, when several variables appear on a line, I add print statements of each variable on separate lines just above, run under Valgrind again, and se where it complains.

In any case, STDTCL is used to compute boundary conditions based on data given in the GUI (such as computing a velocity given a flowrate, or computing default turbulence inlet conditions). So you may want to check the boundary condition definitions first.

Best regards,

Yvan
Charles Warner

Re: Uninitialized Parameters

Post by Charles Warner »

Thank you very much.  I suspected an issue with boundary conditions rather than a faulty build, but I have never encountered these particular parameters before.  This is further complicated by the fack that the associate I am trying to help is located in Europe, and I am here in Panama!  You have provided the information I need.

Charlie

Previously Yvan Fournier wrote:
Hello,

CALTRI , TRIDIM, and STDTCL are Fortran subroutines, built as caltri_, tridim_ and stdtcl_ by the Fortran compiler. Here, Valgrind is telling you that you have a test based on an uniitialzed value in STDTCL, called by CALTRI. To know more, you would need to run the test on a debuig build (for Code_Saturne 1.3, one built with "./lance_install -DBG" instead of "./lance_install"), in which case Valgrind woulf give you the line numbers at which it detects an issue. At this point, when several variables appear on a line, I add print statements of each variable on separate lines just above, run under Valgrind again, and se where it complains.

In any case, STDTCL is used to compute boundary conditions based on data given in the GUI (such as computing a velocity given a flowrate, or computing default turbulence inlet conditions). So you may want to check the boundary condition definitions first.

Best regards,

Yvan