how to use cfdstudy of code_saturne 2.1.6 with salome-6.4.0

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
gxuxg

how to use cfdstudy of code_saturne 2.1.6 with salome-6.4.0

Post by gxuxg »

Hi, I have successfully installed code_saturne-2.1.6 into my Ubuntu 10.04 (64bit) machine, using salome-6.4.0 precompiled libaries.
I can successfully launch and setup code_saturne in Salome environment, but failed to activate saturne solver. However, I am able to run the code_saturne solver independently.
Does anybody have the similar problem? I guess that there should be some improvements on CFDSTUDY plugin, unfortunately, I could not find any relevant updates.
I appreciate that any suggestions to resolve the problem as I described. In addition, it will be very helpful to have some hints about the improvements/setup guide about the latest CFDSTUDY.

Thanks.
Yvan Fournier

Re: how to use cfdstudy of code_saturne 2.1.6 with salome-6.

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

We need to improve the documentation on this, but how did you try to activate the CFDSTUDY module in SALOME ?

The base SALOME application is not modified, but running "code_saturne salome" (instead of "code_saturne gui" should work (assuming you configured Code_Saturne adding "--with-salome=<path_to_salome>" in the configure line). If it does not work, additional details would help.

Best regards,

Yvan
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

I forgot to mention that if you installation seems correct but the CFDSTUDY module fails to when requested, I am interested in knowing whether you are using the "universal binaries" or "installer" variant of SALOME. Also, the traces that appear in your terminal might help explain the problem.

I ran into similar issue a few months ago, and if I recall, I had an issue with some variants of the SALOME build, not with others (I did not investigate further yet).

Best regards,

Yvan
gxuxg

Post by gxuxg »

Hi Yvan,
For your information,
1. I have used the Debian 4.0 (64bit) for Salome-6.4.0, not universal version;
2. I used command 'code_saturne salome' to launch salome, and I can successfully create model, setup in code_saturne but failed when 'start calculation' button is clicked.
3. Below are the error messages :

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/code_saturne/code_saturne-2.1.6/bin/code_saturne", line 49, in <module>
retcode = cs.execute()
File "/opt/code_saturne/code_saturne-2.1.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/code_saturne/cs_script.py", line 62, in execute
return self.commands[command](options)
File "/opt/code_saturne/code_saturne-2.1.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/code_saturne/cs_script.py", line 114, in run
return cs_run.main(options, self.package)
File "/opt/code_saturne/code_saturne-2.1.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/code_saturne/cs_run.py", line 193, in main
domains=d)
File "/opt/code_saturne/code_saturne-2.1.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/code_saturne/cs_case.py", line 144, in __init__
d.set_case_dir(self.case_dir)
File "/opt/code_saturne/code_saturne-2.1.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/code_saturne/cs_case_domain.py", line 483, in set_case_dir
version_str = version_str)
File "/opt/code_saturne/code_saturne-2.1.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/code_saturne/cs_xml_reader.py", line 124, in __init__
raise XMLError('Error parsing XML file: ' + fileName)
cs_xml_reader.XMLError: Error parsing XML file: /home/georgexu/test/TT/cylinder/DATA/cylinder.xml

I wish that I have made the problem clear.

Thanks for your help.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, I should have enough details to try to reproduce the issue.

Did you save the study just before trying to run ?
Is the path /home/georgexu/test/TT/cylinder/DATA/cylinder.xml correct ?
If it is, I would be interested if you can post that file here, to see if the
problem is the file (some write/save error), or in the parser (library/install issue).

I can take a look at this early next week.

Best regards,

Yvan
gxuxg

Post by gxuxg »

Hi Yvan,
I have downloaded and installed code_saturne 2.2.0 with the existing salome-6.4.0. I don't see the problem that we encountered with code_saturne-2.1.6.
Therefore, I suspect that the problem is probably caused by some bugs in code_saturne-2.1.6.
Anyway, I can complete my model within the Salome-6.4.0 environment.
Thanks for your help on this issue.

regards,
George
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello George,

I am not sure what specific change in 2.2 helped with SALOME, unless you are using environment modules on your system (in which case the environment modules supper test in 2.2.1 could cause issues). In any case, it is good to know that it works (as version 2.1 is not a long-term support version, and will only be supported until this summer, when 2.3 is released, it will soon be a non-issue).

Just checking if you installed version 2.2.0 or 2.2.1. There are not many changes between the 2, but if you use user subroutines for physical properties, advanced turbulent viscisity user examples are not deactivated by default in 2.0, and can lead to incorrect results if you do not "empty" non-used examples. 2.2.1 deactivates this by default, so it is "safer" to use.

Best regards,

Yvan