Visualizing values associated with mesh quality criteria

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
finzeo

Visualizing values associated with mesh quality criteria

Post by finzeo »

Hi all!

I know that using the "mesh quality criteria only" execution mode you can obtain logfiles corresponding to the mesh quality criteria check. Is there any way to additionally be able to view fields associated with these criteria? (e.g.: non-orthogonality, offset, etc.). The objective is to be able to graphically identify where the drawbacks are, to know where to improve the mesh.

Thank you so much.
finzeo

Re: Visualizing values associated with mesh quality criteria

Post by finzeo »

(I ask this although a similar question was asked in other posts, because in the ones I saw the answer was that it was enough to use that execution mode to be able to view it, but I would not be seeing it in Paraview)
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I do not understand if you tested this and do not see variables or did not try based on a previous reply...

Best regards,

Yvan
finzeo

Post by finzeo »

Hi Yvan,

I'm testing it and I don't see the variables related to bad cells in Paraview (I apologize if I confused this with the image I sent, which was meant to illustrate what I'm trying to achieve in ParaView and corresponds to a user who does not have this problem). Only the "mpi_rank" field is generated when I run a code_saturne case in "mesh quality criteria" mode.
I tried exporting in different formats (ensight, med and cgns), but with none of them I can see the bad cells fields.
Could this issue be specific to version 8.0? (I'm currently using that version).

I attach my setup.xml, run_solver.log and some suspicious error files.
Attachments
run_solver.log
(15.88 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
error_files.zip
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
setup.xml
(11.94 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

It seems you did run in "quality criteria" mode (based on your log), and you have a crash in boundary condition settings (which is strange), although that mode is set in the XML file.

Did you run using the script or directly in a prepared run directory ? In which case you need to use the proper command line option to run in that mode (as described in the documentation).

Best regards,

Yvan
finzeo

Post by finzeo »

Hi Yvan,

Thank you, now it works.
For some reason, if I reused the setup.xml file that I used for a standard run, but only changing the execution mode to "mesh quality criteria", settings typical of a standard run remained in the xml file (but hidden in the GUI).
Then, when the corresponding postprocessing was run, a run_solver file was generated that did not seems to be set for such run mode.

The solution was simply to use a new empty setup.xml file.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, this is because this execution mode info in the xml file is actually used by the script (not the code) and transformed into a command line option. Wich can be practical when you know how it works and run quick tests in the same directory, surprising otherwise...

This is also something we would like to improve (make those criteria visualizable individually even in a regular computation), but there are other things higher in out todo list....

Best regards,

Yvan