Implementing Shallow Water Equation in Code_Saturne

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
konst

Implementing Shallow Water Equation in Code_Saturne

Post by konst »

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has tried to implement shallow water equation and could provide some guidance or tips.

Specifically, I am curious if it's possible to implement the shallow water equation using tools provided by CDO modules. If anyone has experience with this or any ideas on how to approach this problem, I would greatly appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Yvan Fournier

Re: Implementing Shallow Water Equation in Code_Saturne

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

The CDO modules are quite flexible, so I assume this should be feasible, though these particular equations have not been implemented to code_saturne to my knowledge (since EDF also develops the Telemac system for this, there are no internal projects that I a aware to do do this with CDO, though there are code_saturne collaborations and applications with the department developing Telemac for specific needs).

Best regards,

Yvan
jcharris

Re: Implementing Shallow Water Equation in Code_Saturne

Post by jcharris »

Not sure if it's relevant, but depending on the application, the ALE module could be used for a lot of similar applications to a shallow water equation solver. This works both with the CDO and legacy solvers. Having already validated this for some cases a few years back :

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2021.104860
https://hal-edf.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-03426951

I'm working on cleaning up and documenting a few cases to make it easy (or at least easier) in case anyone wants to take on similar applications in the future, and can post a link in the next days/weeks when it's ready. With the GUI of v7, it's gotten a lot easier to set up these cases.

This would be able to handle things like waves / currents / interactions with structures similarly to shallow water equations. It would not be mathematically identical, if that is important, would handle shocks very differently, and run-up to the best of my knowledge hasn't been made robust yet, as there can be issues with non-vertical mesh movement at the moment.