Using GGDH with SST turbulence

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
mattfalc1997

Using GGDH with SST turbulence

Post by mattfalc1997 »

Hello,

I am starting some research regarding heat transfer in turbulent flows. I noticed that it is not possible to use the Generalized Gradient Diffusion Hypothesis (GGDH) (or AFM, DFM) with the k-omega SST model. Is there any particular reason why this is the case.

Regards,

Matt
Yvan Fournier

Re: Using GGDH with SST turbulence

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I'll remind my colleagues working on turbulence modelling to check your question. From short discussions I had with them, I understand that using GGDH, AFM, or DFM with k-omega SST could be done, but work has been focused more on other turbulence models, so these models have not been implemented for k-omega as of today.

Regards,

Yvan
and.desan

Re: Using GGDH with SST turbulence

Post by and.desan »

I guess it's because all these closures (GGDH, AFM, DFM) are suitable for non-isotropic turbulence, that you can only reproduce using a Reynolds Stress Model for the turbulent momentum field. Eddy-viscosity models like k-omega SST cannot reproduce turbulence anisotropy (at least when using a linear constituve relationship for Rij, as it is the case in code saturne), and therefore only the isotropic SGDH is available for the closure of the turbulent scalr flux.

Andrea