Centrifugal fan

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
ZachJa

Centrifugal fan

Post by ZachJa »

Hello,

I am trying to make simulation for centrifugal fan using Code_Saturne Wizard.
Geometry is prepared in Salome and looks like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb0cthwq11nnn ... l.png?dl=0
When I check mesh in Wizard I have all predefined geometry groups ie surfaces (boundaries - walls, inlets, outlets, symmetry faces) as well as volumes (casing and wheel), but when I try to add wheel in volume conditions - there is no volumes possible to add - only "all_cells" is possible to choose. Under boundary conditions I can choose all without any problems!
Can anybody help with this?
Is it possible at all to make simulation of rotating wheel inside static casing using Code_Saturne Wizard?

Thank you!
Yvan Fournier

Re: Centrifugal fan

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

To select rotating cells, you can either use a geometric criterion (see selection criteria in user documentation), or define a volume group in SALOME (which is the recommended option).

Regards,

Yvan
ZachJa

Post by ZachJa »

Thank you,

I have defined 2 volume groups in Salome (for wheel and for casing) but in Code_Saturne Wizard it is not possible to choose them just one volume group "all_cells" is possible to select.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

In which section of the GUI are you trying to select rotor cells ? There is a specific section for turbomachinery options when that model is activated.

The GUI always allows you to input your own selection criteria where applicable, except for predefined selections, such as the default "all_cells" initialization volume region.

Regards,

Yvan
ZachJa

Post by ZachJa »

Hello,
I try to select rotor cells in Volume conditions under Volume regions definition.
I use GUI - 3.0.0 (3.0.0 version allows to do that?).
May be module is not activated? how to check/activate that?

Thank you.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

That functionality did not exist in 3.0. It is new in 4.0 (it appeared in developement snapshot 3.2).

So you need the latest 4.0 beta (Il'l upload 4.0 final on Monday; it was tagged yesterday).

Regards,

Yvan
ZachJa

Post by ZachJa »

Yvan Fournier wrote:Hello,

That functionality did not exist in 3.0. It is new in 4.0 (it appeared in developement snapshot 3.2).

So you need the latest 4.0 beta (Il'l upload 4.0 final on Monday; it was tagged yesterday).

Regards,

Yvan
OK, thank you,
I will wait than for 4.0 beta version.
will it be available for download/installation here ie code_saturne.org?
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Version 4.0 release candidate 2 is already on this site. The final 4.0.0 release has a few unrelated bug fixes, and will be uploaded next week.

Best regards,

Yvan
ZachJa

Post by ZachJa »

Hello,
i tried first easiest way ie installed CS GUI 4.0.0 Windows release and met the following problem:
after successful Check mesh operation (mesh was prepared with Salome 2013.1 and saved as MED file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w92i1iy7y7ugo ... 1.med?dl=0) I tried to add Boundary conditions from generated mesh_input file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqkgfv83pq6mk ... input?dl=0
but unfortunately, nothing happened ie Definition of boundary regions window is still empty after several attempts...
The same MED file worked well with CS GUI 3.0.0 on Ubuntu 12.04
What could be the problem?
ZachJa

Post by ZachJa »

Now I tried the same using CS GUI 4.0.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 but even could not finish "check mesh" operation. Pre-processor.log file says: "File format "MED" support not available in this installation". In this case I tried MED file generated with Salome 2014.2 ie MED format is 3.0 (this mesh allows to do "check mesh" on CS GUI 4.0.0 Windows release, but still does not work for boundary conditions).
Who to solve it?