Special particles shape

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Design_BIB

Special particles shape

Post by Design_BIB »

Hello everyones,

Good morning Guys.
I had seen a lots of calculation showcases. There are some specific/special shape of particle simulation cases, not only sphere particles.

1) Can CS provided a special particle shape ?
2) Can me set it in CS GUI ?
3) If it unavailable to set it in GUI, How can i create it ?

Thank you in advance. Have a nice day All. :D

Best Regard,
Chayawat
Yvan Fournier

Re: Special particles shape

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

As far is I know (and I did some maintainance on that part of the code recently), the answer to 1) and 2) is no.

Depending on why you need those shapes, you might define user particle variables, and use those varables (transported with the particles) to compute some specific interactions (user particle varibles were broken in versions 3.0 to 3.2, but should work again in 3.3, though I have not tested them).

In any case, this might involve modyfing the code beyond simple user subroutines. Don't forget also that the Lagrangian approach in Code_Saturne is a statistical approach, so caution must be execrciced to maintain theoretical validity of particle interactions (which must also be statistical, not deterministic).

Regards,

Yvan
Design_BIB

Post by Design_BIB »

Hi,

Thanks Yvan for your reply.
I just want to know, Does CS can handle a special shape of particle in the future ?? Just want to know only

Best Regard,
Chayawat
guingo

Post by guingo »

Dear Chayawat,

To my knowledge, it is not planned in a near future to implement dedicated models to simulate the trajectories of elongated, fiber-like objects (for instance) in a turbulent flows with the particle-tracking module of Code_Saturne, if this was what you had in mind. Additional equations to take into account the orientation of the objects should have to be solved then.

However, if you consider a particular shape and have knowledge of a adapted drag coefficient (more adapted that the one implemented in standard that assumes sphericity), you can implement it in the function uslatp (found in cs_user_particle_tracking.f90)

Best regards,
Mathieu