Thermal Model

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
mortbauer

Thermal Model

Post by mortbauer »

Hello

First of all thanks for the great software!
Unfortunately i don't really understand how thermal modelling is done. I created a simple test case where an U-pipe flow undergoes compression due to rotation to resemble simple adiabatic compression. Unfortunately the temperature doesn't change at all.
Do I have to specify anything else, or does code_saturen even calculate such things (i guess it should)?

Thanks alot.

Martin
Attachments
testcase-thermal.tar.gz
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 206 times
Yvan Fournier

Re: Thermal Model

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Are you using the compressible model ?

Unless that algorithm/model (considered a specific physics model, so not compatible with the other specific physics of the code) is used, you will not get any thermal effect from the sole flow dynamics.

Regards,

Yvan
mortbauer

Post by mortbauer »

for now i didn't use the compressibel model.

Ok so without the compressible model, there will be no thermal effect due to compression, but dissipation would be taken into account?

The compressibel model would take both effects into account? Do you know if the compressibel module is compatible with the turbomachinery module?

Thank you for helping!
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I don't think the compressible model is currently compatible with the turbomachinery functionnality.

I'm pretty sure it has never been tested, but I don't know if there are fundamental reasons why it would not work. I'll try to check with the main turbomachinery developper.

Regards,

Yvan
mortbauer

Post by mortbauer »

I'm still working on this problem, actually the thing is that the energy balance seems not to be done correctly for a rotating reference frame. I found in the fluent documentation [http://aerojet.engr.ucdavis.edu/fluenth ... ode416.htm equation 10.2-6) how the the quation should be, and since that I'm thinking of how to take that into account, should I create a new scalar equation, does anybody haave an idea?