ensight output format from CS-3.0 beta

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
gxuxg

ensight output format from CS-3.0 beta

Post by gxuxg »

Hi Yvan,
Happy new year!
I have tried to successfully install CS-3.0 beta with Salome-6.6.0. Everything seems OK, except for the postprocessing of results in Ensight format. I found there were two groups of data, domain and boundary, to be generated by CS-3.0.
Unfortunately, the vector plot by Paraview resulted in spurious vectors on the boundaries, non-zero vectors though I have converted from cell centred data to point data). In addition, only solid color and domain partition are available variables to be selected in color panel. Such viewing problem has not been encountered with results from CS-2.3.1.
I have also tested out to extract the group data for domain only for vector plot. Then everything seems OK.
I wonder whether the data structure for Ensight format in CS-3.0 has been altered or not.
Thanks for your help.

regards,
George XU
Singapore
Yvan Fournier

Re: ensight output format from CS-3.0 beta

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

This seems surprising, as there has been no change in EnSight postprocessing between versions 2.3 and 3.0 (actually, no changes since 2.1 in this area).

In any case, using ParaView, the first step is to use the "extract blocks" filter, to separate boundary from volume postprocessing.

This assumes you are using the default settings: for any postprocessing mesh (-1:volume and -2:boundary are always defined, but others may de defined by the user), you may assign a (possibly empty) list of writers; the default writer (-1) is assigned to the default meshes, but this may be changed (including using the GUI), so another option is to assign the boundary postprocessing to a separate writer in Code_Saturne).

did you try using "extract blocks" instead of "extract groups" ?

Regards,

Yvan

PS: I might move this thread into "general usage" in the future.
gxuxg

Post by gxuxg »

Hi Yvan,
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I do use "extract block" instead of "extract group" and sorry for my inaccurate description in previous post.
However, it is unnecessary to do so with results output from cs-2.3.
I don't what is wrong, if there is no change in ensight output format. I will examine the problem again, I wish this is due to my inappropriate settings in cs-3.0 or inappropriate operation in paraview.
I will keep you updated with my further verification.
Anyway, we can avoid the problem if "extract block" operation in paraview is used before vector plot.

By the way, happy new year to you.

Regards

George
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Happy New year to you too !

The most probable explaination would be that in a case with version 2.3, you had deactivated output of the boundary mesh (by assigning it to 0 writers).

Regards,

Yvan