SYRTHES parallel

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Pisolino

SYRTHES parallel

Post by Pisolino »

hi all,
sorry but since i can't find any SYRTHES forum i'll open the post here.
I'm trying to install only SYRTHES 4, not coupled with Saturne, on Ubuntu 12.04. The installation seems to work well in single core if i let the program compile his own libraries. But i still have many problems in parallel execution: no calculation after a correct partition, error in joining the results after a correct calculation... Since i'm on a 12core 48 gb ram computer it's a waste to using only 1 core. I'm wondering if there is a preferred distribution to work with SYRTHES. I'm trying to solve a not simple radiation problem so my mesh has to be quite fine in order to avoid strange results or unbalanced thermal flows and i need to use all of the cores.

Thanks

Andrea
Andrea
CEO and R&D manager @ ARGO srl

mail: info@argosrl.eu
site: www.argosrl.eu
Pisolino

Re: SYRTHES parallel

Post by Pisolino »

maybe radiation can't work on parallel?

this is the error that i got at the end of simulation when it should re-merge the results:

Aborted (core dumped)
Aborted (core dumped)

Error while post-processing result files.
Stop Syrthes execution.
Andrea

Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

From previous discussions with the SYRTHES developpers, I believe radiation should work in parallel, but I have never used it.

Your crash looks more like a bug in the postprocessing merge tool than in SYRTHES itself, but the developpers won't be in office next week (and I'll be at SC12 the week after), so you might have to wait a bit for an aswer...

Any debugging info (such as running under Valgrind, or a debugger) you may obtain by then would of course be useful, but I am not knowledgeble enough in the intricacies of the SYRTHES scripts to help you, so you'll be on your own.

Regards,

Yvan
Pisolino

Post by Pisolino »

Thanks for the answer,
for now i can say that your suggestion about the post processing is correct, running the simulation with the option - no conversion i reach the end of the simulation. Next i can convert every single part of the result+mesh in a ensight file to open with paraview. I hope to find a way to merge them in a single result file in paraview later.
Now i want to check if the radiation geometries and the view factor are correct rising the elements number.

Thank you for all your suggestions !
Andrea

Pisolino

Post by Pisolino »

i've got answers from the SYRTHES R&D team, they send me a new .c library to add in the installation .

"yes, this problem has been seen on Ubuntu, and will be corrected in SYRTHES 4.0.2.

Below is the new version of the file syrthes4/src /syrthes-post/src/post_syrthes.c
Replace it and re-install the syrthes-post tool.
I hope it will work with this patch,
Best regards
Isabelle Rupp "
Attachments
post_syrthes.c
(17.88 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Andrea