Symmetry with SYRTHES coupling

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Brennan Sharp

Symmetry with SYRTHES coupling

Post by Brennan Sharp »

Hello,
Does symmetry defined in C_S imply symmetry in the solid domain?
For example, I have two rectangular prisms stacked one on top of the other. The bottom prism is solid, handled by SYRTHES.
The top prism is fluid, handled by C_S.
The top surface of the fluid prism is defined for C_S as a symmetry-type boundary. Therefore a second fluid prism is implied.
As SYRTHES is coupled, is a duplicate solid domain implied an top of the implied second fluid?
Hopefully my description is clear enough, but I'll provide a diagram if required

Thanks,

Brennan
Marc Sakiz

Re: Symmetry with SYRTHES coupling

Post by Marc Sakiz »

Hello Brennan,
the symmetry condition for Code_Saturne implies a 0 Dirichlet value for the normal velocity and homogeneous Neumann conditions for all the other variables (except Rij ...... but whatever).  Therefore it is "as if" there was an exactly similar and symmetrical flow on the other side of the surface. So if you have a SYRTHES coupling in the bottom, it will be "as if" you had a SYRTHES coupling on the top.
But of course, the result you will get will not necessarily be exactly the same that you would get on a full domain (double fluid prism with solid prisms on both sides), because of potential non symmetrical unsteadynesses ... depending on your flow.

... if I understood your question correctly !!!

--Marc--

Brennan Sharp

Re: Symmetry with SYRTHES coupling

Post by Brennan Sharp »

Thanks Marc,
Your reply states exactly what I wanted to know, better than my question did.

Brennan