negative volume found in grid

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Mubashir Ali

negative volume found in grid

Post by Mubashir Ali »

I made a grid whose domain is spherical using my own code to run it on code saturne and fluent. the grid is running absolutely fine on Fluent but the same grid when i run on code saturne .. it gives an error stating negative volumes.

Procedure of creating the grid:

1) Using Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations – Steger, Chaussee, I create a 2D grid for the airfoil housing.

2)  Next i rotate the grid around the axis of symmetry to make it a 3 D grid keeping in mind that cells on the aixs of symmetry would be prism cells.

3) the 3 D grid is written in neutral file format including the boundary conditions, which is accepted by Fluent and code saturne

I am attaching the listpre file wiht this email

Kind Regards

Mubashir
Attachments
listpre.txt
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
listing.txt
(24.35 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Yvan Fournier

Re: negative volume found in grid

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Do you really rotate the grid or do you apply symmetry ? If you apply symmetry, it is probable that your local cell->vertex connectivity is inverted. To fix this, simply use the --reorient option for the Preprocessor (also available in the GUI).

This option is not enabled by default, as it may be difficult to distinguish badly oriented cells from highly warped cells, but in the case of a good quality mesh, it works fine.

Best regards,

Yvan Fournier
Serra Sylvain

Post by Serra Sylvain »

Hello,

I had the same problem on meshes created with Gambit.

I did not found solutions until the installation of the last version of Code_Saturne (V2.0.1).
Thank to this version, the same mesh works without any problem...

Sylvain
Mubashir Ali

Post by Mubashir Ali »

@ Yvan  
I really rotate the grid. I make first 2D grid (half circle)  and then I rotate it around the axis (body is axis symm) to obtain a 3D grid with spherical domain.
I am using version 1.3 ... unfortunately i did not find any reorentiation tab in GUI :( 

@ Sylvain

Thnx for the info .... if this 1.3 version does not work ... will try to install V2.0.1  :D