CoolProp materials

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
jcharris

CoolProp materials

Post by jcharris »

For some tests with v7.2, when using the CoolProp materials, the density appears to be chosen anyway to be fixed at 1.179 kg/m^3 even when the material is changed (to Water, CycloHexane, etc.). As a user, this seems unclear, since the density is not listed in the GUI, and the material should have a very different density for the pressure / temperature given.

Is this expected behavior for code_saturne?
Yvan Fournier

Re: CoolProp materials

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

No, this is not expected behavior. Do you have an XML file (and accompanying user subroutines, if any) on whihc I can try to reproduce this ?

Also note that in v7.3 and older, using CoolProp is very slow in case of spatially varying prporties, due to the cost of evaluation et each cell and each time step. Starting with v8, we can finally use CoolProp's "tabulation" options, so performance should be much better (feedback is welcome). This is still probably independent from the issue you describe.

Best regards,

Yvan
jcharris

Post by jcharris »

I attach a simple xml but I can provide a more detailed case that corresponds to a more realistic benchmark if needed.

In this case, if I just run "~/CS-7.2.0/bin/code_saturne create -s TMP", then go to Mesh, set "Generate cartesian mesh" (generating a single-cell mesh, though Cartesian is normally capitalized, in my experience) ; then go to Volume conditions / all_cells, and change the Material to different things, run the model, and look in listing for the density, this does not change as a function of the material.

Perhaps there is an issue with my installation, though?
Attachments
setup.xml
(4.76 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I'll need to check on another (EDF) machine with v7.2, but on my home machine with code_saturne master, v8.0, and v7.3 branches installed, I do observe a change in density for example when changing the CoolProp material.

Best regards,

Yvan