How to check face joinings

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Mohammad

How to check face joinings

Post by Mohammad »

Hello,

I've joined two boundary faces using cs_join_add, Now I wanna check that how the faces are joined to each other(for example face #1 is joined to which face or faces on the other side?) or to see the new faces or vertices which are created at the interface.
How can I check that?

Regards,
Mohammad
Yvan Fournier

Re: How to check face joinings

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

With a visualization level of at least 1 in cs_join_add, a postprocessing output dedicated to that will be output, so you can check joinings. You can also check what is still in the boundary visualization output, as joiined faces become interior (not boundary) faces.

Regards,

Yvan
Mohammad

Post by Mohammad »

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply!
My mesh has two parts that I want to join them. First part has 10 cells(left) and the other part has 5 cells(right) as you can see in image below: (The height and the width of the two parts are equal, but different number of cells)
I've done it with visualization level of 1 and checked JOINING.case file in the output.
The output shows 10 grids on the interface which seems that the left face of each cell on the right part of the mesh is split into 2 parts(shown in green and red) in order to be able to join with the left hand side cell:
The int corresponds to new interior face created after splitting.

And finally they are merged in order to create one common interface like image below:
Is that right? This means that each cell on the right part of the mesh has two faces on one side and one face on the other side?

Regards,
Mohammad
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, thé theory guide provides more details but face joining will split faces if necessary, subdividing "classical" cells into general polyhedra.

This can slightly degrade mesh quality at a local level, but measuring the impact is difficult/requires extensive comparisons, and can have more impact on some numerical schemes than others.

Best regards,

Yvan
Mohammad

Post by Mohammad »

Hello,

Thank you very much Yvan.

Just one more question: in fluent, joining faces performs averaging of data on both sides before transferring to other side. Is this happening in code_saturne, I read the PDF, but didn't get my answer.
If No, is there an option to average on one side and transfer that data to the other side?
Regards,
Mohammad
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

In code_saturne, data is not directly averaged, but the face is subdivided. Each faces's contribution should be proportional to its surface, so averaging occurs naturally/implicitely.

Regards,

Yvan
Mohammad

Post by Mohammad »

Hello,

Thanks a lot dear Yvan,

Does this procedure have order or priority? I mean is there any difference between:
cs_join_add("FACE1 or FACE2") and cs_join_add("FACE2 or FACE1")?

Regards,

Mohammad
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Non, there is no order or priority. Both options are equivalent.

Regards,

Yvan