Problem: 1st tutorial - CS 5.2

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Cbarnaud

Problem: 1st tutorial - CS 5.2

Post by Cbarnaud »

Hello everyone,

I'm actually stuck with a simulation and I need help.
I spend hours to configure Salome with the CFD module (in Centos8 it's not easy) but now I no longer have warnings and errors displayed. (version 8.5.0 from salome website, including CFD study, and so code_saturne 5.2)
I was happy until I launch calculations for the 1st tutorial given, the Shear Driven Cavity Flow.
I have no troubles with the set up or calculations but my pressure don't move at all and so my residuals, as you can see in the listing.txt. It's totally different from results shown in the tutorial.
I followed the tutorials many times, step by step but I don't understand theses results.
Does someone here has an idea about this source of the problem ? I think I messed something in the packages installation but I don't know where ...

Thank you very much !
Camille.
Attachments
listing.txt
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 202 times
Last edited by Cbarnaud on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yvan Fournier

Re: Problem: 1st tutorial - CS 5.2

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Could you also post your case setup ? Did you check that you have a nonzero sliding wall velocity ?

Regards,

Yvan
Cbarnaud

Post by Cbarnaud »

Thank you for your answer.
I've checked, I have a non zero sliding wall velocity in the input/outputs (seen on the ParaVis) but my pressure and my my velocity fields don't react correctly.
I tried again 30min ago and the results are the same...

So I give you my last setup.xml/.log files, hope it can help.

Regards,
Camille.
Attachments
setup.xml
(7.54 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
setup.log
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I am not sure what is causing this. If your mesh is small, you can post it here.

Also, version 5.2 is not supported anymore, and the version you are using does not even include the latest patches of that series, though there is no specific bug fix in that series which seems related.

I recommend upgrading to version 6.0. Using Salome 9.3 instead of 8.5 would also be better, but if it is a pain to install, you may try a "standalone" installation (i.e. using a separate install of Salome for meshing and postprocessng" and of code_saturne).

Regards,

Yvan
Cbarnaud

Post by Cbarnaud »

Hello,

I thought it was better to install salome-cfd because it's already a pain to install.
I spend more than one week to do it because salome, or code_saturne, didn't "appreciate CentOs" ... a lot of packages were missing and a lot of errors has been shown on my display.

Here is my mesh, it's pretty small. Maybe a plugin, like Netgen or other, is not found an create an unphysical simulation.

Just for my information, is there a lack in possibilities of simulation if I use these two softwares separately ?
In the end I would like to use it for thermal simulation a a great mesh, with combustion in the ideal case ...

Regards,
Attachments
Cavity_mesh4.med
(399.73 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

No, there is not reduction in the simulation possibilities, except for coupling with code_aster (which is requires installing with salome_meca) or in version 6.0, sensitivity studies using the OpenTURNS integration (and even that could be made to work outside SALOME).

This is why I recommend a separate install if the combined installation is too hard to get working. In a separate install, you can use libraries from SALOME, such as MED, MEDCoupling, CGNS on an individual basis but usually do not need the Python integration or GUI integration (which adds a few minor features, such as highlighting boundary zone selections or showing probe locations, which can also be done separately).

In any case, the mesh you posted contains only one cell in the "x" direction, (but several cells in the z direction, which is not useful here), so the fluid cannot circulate. This is not what the tutorial indicates, so check your mesh.

Best regards,

Yvan
Cbarnaud

Post by Cbarnaud »

Hello !

It's working !

Indeed, my mesh was bad, I modify it and I got still issues in the calculation part, so the mesh was the 1st part of the problem.
I checked hidden issues on /var/log/messages : I solved it by removing a lib in anaconda3 from PYTHONPATH, adding libicu18n to my libraries links and reboot my hosts file (troubles with "Kernel/Session") ... now all seems to work well.
My results are perfectly the same as shown in the tutorial guide.

Thank you very much for your time, now I can move forward and try other things.

I've also installed new versions of salome/code_saturne and both seems to works (separately): apparently Salome-cfd has been a crash test for my computer.

Thanks a lot again,
Regards,
Camille.