Mesh .med or .unv conversion to .syr with syrthes-win32-4.1.1

This forum is dedicated to Syrthes related issues, as the Syrthes tool does not have its own forum.
Laurent Bertrand

Mesh .med or .unv conversion to .syr with syrthes-win32-4.1.1

Post by Laurent Bertrand »

Hello,

I couldn't read or convert my linear triangular meshes to .syr format with syrthes win32

-I have tried with .unv format, I get the following error when using Netgen meshes:
"Ideas mesh file : wrong type of elements found (type=41)" (type 41 seems to be for linear triangles, someone already report this trouble in the forum)

So, I have tried to use .med format and I get this error:
..\..\med-3.0.5_SRC\src\misc\MEDversionedApi3C.c [50] : Cette bibliothèque MED n'est pas capable de lire un fichier MED dont le mineur de la versionexcède celui de la bibliothèque.

I don't now how I can define and change the source file med-3.0.5 to med-3.2.1.

Could someone help me to update the med source file or anything else?

Best regards
Yvan Fournier

Re: Mesh .med or .unv conversion to .syr with syrthes-win32-4.1.1

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

For this you would need to either export MED files to an older version using a recent SALOME version (but I am not sure you can export to versions older than 3.2), or regenerate the Syrthes binaries.
Using a Linux version this is easy, but to my knowledge only the Syrthes developers have the scripts to generate the Windows version, so you would need to write directly to the syrthes-suffort at edf dot fr adress (though I am not sure how often it is checked).

Best regards,

Yvan
Laurent Bertrand

Dear Yvan,

Thank you for you quick answer. I have some questions:
-Do you mean: syrthes-support@edf.fr or syrthes-suffort@edf.fr?
-I didn't find the way in Salome or forum to export the Mesh in older Med version. Could you please explain me the procedure?
-Do you think that I can modify the medC.dll in syrthes folder to call the new MED version?
-Finally, is it a way to use the mesh in .unv format? What kind of algorithm should I use? I get Licence problems when I am using MG-Tetra

Best regards
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Sorry for the typo (typing from my phone).
It is syrthes-support@edf.fr.

Changing the dll might work, assumimg the hdf5 dll matches, but dolls from the Syrthes scripts and Salome might use different build systems so you may have dependency issues. There is no risk in trying anyways...

With recent Salome versions, choosing the MED version is a sub-option in the export mesh as MED dialog. I am not sure if it is missing from the Windows version...

Best regards,

Yvan
Laurent Bertrand

Hello Yvan,

I haven't get any respond yet from Syrthes team despite waiting for many months. Do you think I should continue to wait?

Best regards.

Laurent
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

You can try with a new mail, but I do do not know if the Syrthes team checks that mailbox very often.

If you have access to a Linux install, you could convert your files to .syr on the Linux box, and use them on Wndows.

I just checked the Salome MED export options, and in Salome 4.0, a MED file can be exported to MED 4.0, MED 3.3, and MED 3.2 versions, but not MED 3.0. So MED 3.0 can definitely be considered obsolete...

Otherwise, you might have a last option with the UNV format might be to edit the element types, as many are "similar enough". Checking the Syrthes sources, handled types seem to be 111, 91, and 21. You can try to replace 41 (linear triangle) with 91 (shell linear triangle) in the UNV file and check if that works.

Best regards,

Yvan
Laurent Bertrand

Hello Yvan,

Thank you for your answer.

Could you please send me an example because I don't get where I should change 41 to 91 in the unv file?

Best regards
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

If I remember correctly, this is the value in the 2nd column of the "2412" dataset. In unv files, a dataset is started and ended by a line including just:
(with 4 spaces before -1).

So that dataset starts with:

Best regards,

Yvan
Laurent Bertrand

Thank you for your answer.

In my unv file, when I change 2411 to 2412, I get the error:
    wrong type of argument (type 1).

So, what can I do?Where to find a old version of Salome?

Best regards
    Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

You should not change the dataset name (2412) to 2411, but the values containing 41 to values containing 91 in the second column of that data set (until the ending line with -1)... Not very practical.

I do not know if older versions of Salome will help. You can force MED output to older MED versions when exporting a mes with Salome 9.4 and 9.3 at least.

Best regards,

Yvan