Low value of Turbulent heat fluxes in Natural convection

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
kunalck

Low value of Turbulent heat fluxes in Natural convection

Post by kunalck »

Hello Everyone,

I am running Rayleigh Benard natural convection case with Rayleigh number to be 630000 and Pr as 0.71. I am using AFM as turbulent heat flux model. For boussinesq implementation, I am adding boussiesq(rho*beta*(T-t_ref)*g) source term in momentum equation.
I am facing an unusual problem regarding the turbulent heat flux magnitude. The turbulent heat fluxes for this case are incredibly low value(1e-38 to 1e-36). Whereas the temperature profiles are predicted well when compared to DNS results.
Also the turbulent kinetic energy (i.e. rij values) is also incredibly low.

Code_saturne v 5.1.3.
Turbulence model : RSM-EB
turbulent heat flux model : AFM
The attachment afm_dns.png is no longer available
afm_dns.png
Kindly suggest few changes.

Regards
Kunal
Attachments
63e4_afm_data0.csv
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 223 times
C0st4s

Re: Low value of Turbulent heat fluxes in Natural convection

Post by C0st4s »

Hi,

May I asked how did you implement Boussinessq?

i.e cs_user_source_terms.f90 under ustsnv or cs_user_physical_properties.f90 under usphyv?

Cheers,
Costas
kunalck

Post by kunalck »

Hello,

I used ' cs_user_source_terms.f90' under ustsnv for Boussinesq approximation.

Regards
Kunal
C.FLAG.

Post by C.FLAG. »

Hello,

I have started a case with natural convection under 6.0-beta, Rij-SSG + AFM, the temperature / turbulent heat fluxes have a very high amplitude, 10e50. Switch back to 5.0 if you need results quickly. Otherwise, wait for fixes.

P.S.: tests performed with the temperature flagged as buoyant in cs_user_parameters.c and the SIMPLEC time scheme. Switching to PISO and nterup = 3 did not improve the situation.

Code: Select all

void
cs_user_parameters(cs_domain_t   *domain)
{

/* Declare the temperature as a buoyant scalar */
  cs_field_set_key_int(cs_field_by_name("temperature"),
                       cs_field_key_id("is_buoyant"),
                       1);
}
Best regards,
Cédric
Jean-Francois Wald

Post by Jean-Francois Wald »

kunalck wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:23 pm Hello Everyone,

I am running Rayleigh Benard natural convection case with Rayleigh number to be 630000 and Pr as 0.71. I am using AFM as turbulent heat flux model. For boussinesq implementation, I am adding boussiesq(rho*beta*(T-t_ref)*g) source term in momentum equation.
I am facing an unusual problem regarding the turbulent heat flux magnitude. The turbulent heat fluxes for this case are incredibly low value(1e-38 to 1e-36). Whereas the temperature profiles are predicted well when compared to DNS results.

Code_saturne v 5.1.3.
afm_dns.png
63e4_afm_data0.csv

Regards
Kunal
Thank you for your feedback on the AFM model. Your temperature profile looks good probably because the GGDH part of the AFM works well whereas the additional terms ( bouyancy, velocity gradient,...) might be bugged.

Can you post your test case so that I can have a look ?
C0st4s

Post by C0st4s »

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. Another question if you do not mind. If you use Boussinesq through cs_user_source_terms.f90 under ustsnv what did you do with the gravity vector in the generation rate of turbulence (Gk)?

Cheers,
Costas
kunalck

Post by kunalck »

Jean-Francois Wald wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:54 pm
kunalck wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:23 pm Hello Everyone,

Code_saturne v 5.1.3.

afm_dns.png
63e4_afm_data0.csv

Regards
Kunal
Thank you for your feedback on the AFM model. Your temperature profile looks good probably because the GGDH part of the AFM works well whereas the additional terms ( bouyancy, velocity gradient,...) might be bugged.

Can you post your test case so that I can have a look ?
Hello Jean-Francois,

Thank you for your feedback. I have also run the same case with unsteady solver(CS_v4.0) and I could not prevent the laminarization. Although, temperature profile was like previous case(predicting well compared with DNS).
u_rbc1.xml
(10.66 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Rbc_3_mesh.cgns
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 238 times
kunalck

Post by kunalck »

C0st4s wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:55 am Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. Another question if you do not mind. If you use Boussinesq through cs_user_source_terms.f90 under ustsnv what did you do with the gravity vector in the generation rate of turbulence (Gk)?

Cheers,
Costas
Hello,
I gave the value of gravity as a negative vector in GUI. And when using Boussinesq through cs_user_source_terms.f90, then the I would use gy for gravity.
kunalck

Post by kunalck »

Hello Everyone,

I am currently running Rayleigh Benard Natural Convection simulations. Ra 1e5 and Pr 0.025
I have encountered a strange error in temperature profile. I am noticing these rings along the plumes of upward flow i.e. Mushroom like structures in temperature contours. I have attached a plot of the temperature across the observed ring.
Also I would like to point out that the structures/ perturbations in temperature are observed only for Pr 0.025 cases. The rings/perturbations are no observed for Pr 0.7 or 0.006. Also I would like to add that the overall profile of the temperature on averaging across the domain along x-axis is slightly affected and can be observed only at a closer look. I just wanted to know what could be causing it and what can be done to avoid these in future ?
Heat flux model - AFM
Turbulence model - RSM:EB
unsteady RANS
t_anamoly_rbc3.png
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Which version of the code are you using ? If you are not using version 6.0, I recommend upgrading, as you may
- either find a bug has been fixed
- help get a bug fixed (assuming it is a bug) in one of the next 6.0.z releases

while with older versions, only major bugs may be fixed (but if you have a regression relative to an older version, we do need to check that also).

Could you post your setup (without the mesh, unless it is small).

Best regards,

Yvan