Starting calculation

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
noamc

Starting calculation

Post by noamc »

Hello !

I have already seen some peopl with the same problem but it didn't help me to find a solution to my problem.
I would like to start a calculation thanks to the interface Code_saturne gui but when I do "Start calculation" (after saving my case), nothing happens except an empty white page with some buttons.
I tried several versions of Code_saturne and I also tried to run the file SCRIPTS/runcase and it worked, but with the new version 5.3.2, I saw that we could check the convergence thanks to the interface and I can't try this without starting the calculation using the interface (?), so is there anybody here who had this problem and succeeded to solve it ?

Thanks for your time !
Noam
Attachments
Capture d’écran (101).png
Yvan Fournier

Re: Starting calculation

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

You can check convergence even on a computation run directly using the runcase script.

For the issue, we have not solved it yet because it is difficult to reproduce. So I am interested in details on your installation and system.

Best regards,

Yvan
noamc

Post by noamc »

Good afternoon,

I use residuals.csv and results in files probes_[...].dat to check convergence, but did you talk about using the convergence tools I saw in the interface or checking the files as I do ?

I would be happy to help, what do you want to know exactly ?

Best regards,

Noam
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

For convergence, use the "code_saturne trackcvg" command.

For your system, the info listed in this forum's usage recommendations would be good.

Regards,

Yvan
noamc

Post by noamc »

Hello,

Thank you for this command, I will try to use it.

So, here you can see some information :
  • Version : 4.3.4 but I can also use 5.0.9 and 5.3.2
  • I use Virtual box with 6 cores allowed and use the version Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
  • There you can see which tools I use :
compC : cc
mpiCompC : mpicc
compF : f95
compCxx : c++
mpiCompCxx : mpicxx

If you need more things, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Noam
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I can try to check this on another Ubuntu 18.04 install on VirtualBox. which version of Qt is installed/detected in your case ? I would assume Qt 5 and not Qt4, but both might be possible based on the packages you have. If you can post your config.log for Code_Saturne 5.3.2, I can determine this myself.

The issue you had seemed to appear mostly on machines with slow filesystems (or using distant filesystems
with higher latency), but some improvements had limited that issue. I'm not sure I can reproduce it but I'll try (if I can reproduce it, the fix should not be the hardest part).

Best regards,

Yvan
noamc

Post by noamc »

You can find as enclosed file the file config.log I had in the folder code_saturne-5.3.2.build/.
I hope you will find the information you want.

Yes, that's what I thought : my (former) colleague had this problem too but only with his personal computer (using a virtual machine) and not in his computer at work, where he didn't use a VM. But I don't know if it is the same configuration for other people having the same problem and I don't know either if it comes directly from the use of a VM or if it comes from the fact that using a VM is often linked with using slow filesystems.

I hope this will help.

Best regards,

Noam
Attachments
config.log
(187.45 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I was not able to reproduce the issue on a Ubuntu 18.04 VM (under VirtualBox) runningon another Linux machine...

Trying to think of other factors that might change from one machine to another, do you have environment modules loaded or use another shell than bash ? I assume no, but if it is the case, that might be something to check.

Best regards,

Yvan
noamc

Post by noamc »

Hello,

No I don't and I'm sorry but I can't see anything which could cause a problem like this one.
I hope somebody having the same problem will see this post and participate to try to find a solution.

Regards,
Noam
noamc

Post by noamc »

Hello Yvan,

I can add an information, maybe it can help :
I just installed the version 4.0.9 of Code_Saturne and in the interface, when I want to check the mesh, I can do it launching in the gui (Calculation environment > Mesh Quality criteria > Check mesh) the button, it works !
But even in this version, the button "Start calculation" just open a window without starting any calculation.

Regards,
Noam