Code_Saturne 5.0.8 and Salome 8.5.0

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
C.FLAG.

Code_Saturne 5.0.8 and Salome 8.5.0

Post by C.FLAG. »

Dear Users and developers,

I was able to compile Code_Saturne 5.0.8 with Salome 8.5.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 using the binaries provided with Salome and the script 'env_launch.sh'. I can run the command code_saturne salome, and the CFD_STUDY module is visible.

However, as soon as I click on it and then on 'New', I get a SIGSEGV 'segmentation violation' detected in Salome. I have attached the config.log from Code_Saturne and the env_launch.sh from Salome. I am not sure how to get more information from Salome, as no error appears in the terminal.

Regards,
Cédric
Attachments
env_launch.log
(34.78 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
config.log
(290.13 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Yvan Fournier

Re: Code_Saturne 5.0.8 and Salome 8.5.0

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Which binaries ? The ones for Ubuntu 16 on salome-platform.org ? Or Debian binaries for Salome_CFD ?

Did you source the salome environent ? In most cases it is not required (done on the fly) but in some combination it may be useful. In this case you also need to source it before running the code. If you installed without sourcing, it is better to run without sourcing also.

We may also have a full Solome_CFD build script for Ubuntu soon (you can check with Erwan).

Best regards,

Yvan
C.FLAG.

Post by C.FLAG. »

Hello Yvan,

I took the binaries for ubuntu 16, I run the script 'install_bin.sh', and i modified the script 'env_launch.sh' to point to the 'INSTALL' directory instead of 'BINARIES-UB16.04'. I also modified the script because the environment variable CGNSHOME was not defined and Code_Saturne configure script was looking for it.

After sourcing the modified script 'env_launch.sh', I installed Code_Saturne with configure / make / make install as described in the config.log.

Prior to running the code, I did source the salome script, the added the code_saturne installation bin to PATH and lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I obtained the segmentation fault both with and without defining the variable CS_ROOT_DIR, which was helpfull in another post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2205.

Should I try to use the universal binaries of Salome?

Thanks,
Cédric
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello Cédric,

No, I do not think the universal binaries will help on Ubuntu 16.04 (or rather, you may avoid this problem but have others).

I'll adapt the CGNS detection to handle also $CGNS_ROOT_DIR in addition to $CGNSHOME, since different SALOME versions/builds seem to use different variables (you can also use an external CGNS library if you prefer).

I recommend not sourcing the Salome environment, both for installation and running, because the installer and run script already source it locally (so it is useful to source it only if you want to use Salome's Qt and Python libraries),ion

A better solution may be to install a full Salome_CFD, where everything is compiled in a consistent manner. We'll need to post the build scripts for this.

Best regards,

Yvan
C.FLAG.

Post by C.FLAG. »

Hello Yvan,

I actually want to use Salome's QT library because the package QT5 is colliding with QT4 on this version of Ubuntu, according to my sys admin.

Right now I am a bit short on time so I will postpone the compilation of a full Salome_CFD due to the (very!) large number of dependencies visible in the BINARIES folder of Salome. However, I will try to get back to this as soon as possible.

Do you have any suggestion to obtain a detailed error from Salome in addition to the 'SIGSEGV 'segmentation violation' detected. Address 7ff1a763c1e0' ?

Thanks,
Cédric