Code_Staurne 5.0 check mesh

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
mattkoch

Code_Staurne 5.0 check mesh

Post by mattkoch »

I downloaded and installed version 5.0 last night and upon trying to run an existing case through the GUI, I found that the "Calculation environment - > Mesh quality criteria" item is no longer there? This would create the check mesh file from which to later import boundary conditions - very convenient. Without it, how do I go about that now? Thanks.
xingjian

Re: Code_Staurne 5.0 check mesh

Post by xingjian »

Hello Matt,

I use the 4.0.6 version but not 5, but I think that at the beginning of the calculation check mesh will be automatically executed? Because I have never checked the mesh, but it has been in the RESU directory.

Best Regards

XING Jian
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Version 5.0 has a more complete mesh checking mode, and a compute mode. In the GUI you can switch from one to the other using the buttons (simple grid and colored cavity flow field respectively) on the toolbar.

Best regards,

Yvan
mattkoch

Post by mattkoch »

Hi Yvan,

yes, I can see these two buttons now. I guess even in mesh mode, one actually has to go to "Calculation management" - > "Prepare batch calculation" and do a "Start calculation" with "Preprocessing type" set to "Mesh quality criteria"? However, nothing is happening in my case. I believe this is because the "Script file" icon is red, so I have not selected a script file. However, I do not know what file that would be or what its contents would be?

Thanks,

Matt Koch
Yvan Fournier wrote:Hello,

Version 5.0 has a more complete mesh checking mode, and a compute mode. In the GUI you can switch from one to the other using the buttons (simple grid and colored cavity flow field respectively) on the toolbar.

Best regards,

Yvan
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Did you create a case ? What directory are you running from ?

Regards,

Yvan
mattkoch

Post by mattkoch »

I see. I had created the case using the old 4.0. Now I did one with the new 5.0. It turns out, the "missing" script file for mesh processing is the same "runcase.bat" file. So that works now. The mesh output now also seems to end up in "preprocesor.log", not "check_mesh.log". Plus, the mesh processing gets its own directory in RESU now, I suppose. Anyway, after running the mesh processing and then switching to calculation, I can pull in the "preprocessor.log" at the boundary condition step, and the conditions seem to get pulled in just fine.
Yvan Fournier wrote:Hello,

Did you create a case ? What directory are you running from ?

Regards,

Yvan
zanelatoeb

Post by zanelatoeb »

Dear,

I'm a new Code_Saturne user. I've used the GUI mode in CAELinux, 2018. The Code_Saturne version is 5.0.

I have the same "problem". The field "Calculation environment" -> "Mesh check quality" isn't there. Instead of it there is "Notebook".

So, how can I perform the mesh quality now? Performing this, the boundary conditions turns easier to apply.

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Erick.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

The explanation is in the previous posts.

In version 5.0 you have a Preprocessing and Compute mode in the GUI, which replaces the old method.

Note you must already have created a case to use this.

Best regards,

Yvan