No shear wall

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
CTrinca

No shear wall

Post by CTrinca »

Hello everyone,

I need to impose a "no-shear wall" boundary condition with uniform temperature in a test simulation. I have found a ready-made recipe for it in the user manual (for version 4, in the notes at page 74), which I implemented as follows in cs_user_boundary_conditions:

Code: Select all

if (constant_temperature_applied) then
    boundaryselection = constant_T_boundaries
    allocate(lstelt(nfabor))
    call getfbr(boundaryselection, nlelt, lstelt)

do ilelt = 1, nlelt
        ifac = lstelt(ilelt)
        iel = ifabor(ifac)
        itypfb(ifac) = isymet
        icodcl(ifac,isca(iscalt)) = 1
        rcodcl(ifac,isca(iscalt),1) = T_boundary
    end do

end if

where constant_T_boundaries and T_boundary are defined in cs_user_modules.
That does not seem to work: if I plot the boundary temperature field on that boundary surface, I get a very patchy distribution, as shown in the picture attached (it is supposed to be 30 C everywhere).
Can you spot any problem in my code?
Thanks in advance and regards,

Cosimo
Attachments
boundary_T.png
Yvan Fournier

Re: No shear wall

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

How regular is your mesh ?

How does the temperature field look in a cut plane through the domain ? How does the fow field compare ?

Regards,

Yvan
CTrinca

Post by CTrinca »

Hello Yvan,

The calculation itself is very unstable, but I thought that it could be either independent or even caused by the boundary problem. But that is because I assumed that imposing a Dirichlet boundary condition would force the boundary temperature to the chosen value no matter what happens in the bulk, contrary to what I see here. Is that wrong, and if so, why?
Thanks as always for your answer.
Regards,

Cosimo
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

If you force a Dirichlet value, you should get that exact value on the boundary, though this is first converted to a flux, and retrieving the boundary value requires postprocessing using t* and t+ wall values.

Do you use the standard postprocessing at the boundary ? Could you plot the temperature on a plae through the domain ?

Regards,

Yvan
CTrinca

Post by CTrinca »

Hello,

The boundary temperature I plotted is that output by the calculation, with the postprocessing activated in the GUI in Surface solution control. I attached the temperature field on a mid plane. As you see it is rather irregular, and also the time evolution at my monitoring points is unstable. The flow field has a very similar pattern.
You also asked about my mesh: it is pretty regular, my domain is just an annulus meshed with hexahedra. The preprocessor does not find any bad cell.
Thanks again for your support,

Cosimo
Attachments
sliceT.png
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I'm not quite sure whether the wall temperature postprocessing also works correctly for symmetry BC's, so could you ?

1) test your case using wall laws to see if the postprocessed wall temperature has the same irreguliar behavior or gives you the prescribed value ?

2) if this is not the case, post your case here, with a small version if the mesh if possible.

Best regards,

Yvan