How to couple two fluid domain

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Jundi He

How to couple two fluid domain

Post by Jundi He »

Hi:

I have a coupling simulation which has two fluid domain and one solid domain, the structure is shown below. The two fluid domain has different mesh and use different model, but they share a surface. Both fluid1 and fluid2 has a surface coupling with the solid surface. I've run several coupling simulation with solid and fluid domain, but how to set up this simulation with two fluid domain and one solid domain? Should I create 2 fluid case in one study? Like " code-saturne create -s study1 -c fluid1 -c fluid2 --syrthes solid " ? Thank you!

Best Regards!
Jundi He
Attachments
IMG_2967.JPG
Luciano Garelli

Re: How to couple two fluid domain

Post by Luciano Garelli »

Hello,

What data/information do you need to exchange through the interfaces solid-fluid and fluid-fluid?

Regards

Luciano
Jundi He

Post by Jundi He »

Hi

Between the solid and fluid domain, like the normal coupling simulation, exchange the external temperature and the heat transfer coefficient. Between the fluid domain, I am going to exchange the velocity and the temperature, and also the heat flux through the shared face. Thank you!

Best Regards!
Jundi He
Luciano Garelli

Post by Luciano Garelli »

Hello,

May be this old post could help you http://code-saturne.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67.

I think that you should try first to couple the two fluid domains and then these with syrthes,

Regards

Luciano
Jundi He

Post by Jundi He »

Thank you so much. Now I can couple the two fluid face and then couple the two fluid domain with the solid domain. Thanks!!!
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I'll add that to couple the fluid domains without an intermediate solid, you may need to either use coupling of two computational domains (such as that used for RANS/LES coupling or for our old rotor/stator model), for which documentation may be a bit sketchy.

I you need to coupled the scalar fields (such as temperature) but not the velocity and turbulence, you can use the new internal coupling in version 5.0 beta.

If the two fluid domains are separated by a thin adiabatic boundary, you can forget the above and simply couple them both to the Syrthes domain.

In any case, it is better to define groups in the solid (Syrthes) mesh to as to be able to separately select the faces coupled with fluid domain 1 and fluid domain 2 (it is only recommended with internal coupling, and necessary with general coupling).

Regards,

Yvan