What's an internal face ?

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Jérémie Todesco

What's an internal face ?

Post by Jérémie Todesco »

Hello,
I'm a new user of code_saturne and when I run the preprocess of Code_Saturne, it finds edges faces and internal faces on my surfaces (The symetries, the output, the input..). What's an internal face ? What is the differences between internal faces and edges faces ?
Yvan Fournier

Re: What's an internal face ?

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,
internal face are faces interior to the mesh (we sometimes use "internal", sometimes "internal"; we would need to be a bit more consistent in naming).
Boundary faces are faces on the boundaries of the mesh (where you expect to define boundary conditions).
If some of the surfaces you defined appear as interior faces, it means just that: they are really inside the mesh, and you may not expect to define boundary faces on them. This is a feature, not a bug: you might want to define properties on interior faces so as to use those faces to compute balances on sub-meshes for example.
If you joined 2 meshes by selecting faces with a certain group fro example, merged faces become interior faces, but keep their group properties (actually, if you join faces of group A with faces of group B, resulting faces will belong both to groups A and B, but they will have become interior faces: they may be selected or searched for as interior faces, not as boundary faces).
When building a mesh, if yo wish to define thin walls, you need to ensure that vertices are "doubled": at least one vertex per face on each side of the wall needs to have a different number, even if its coordinates are the same: if 2 faces have the same vertices, they are considered to be identical (this behavior is similar to that of many visualization tools).
Best regards,
  Yvan Fournier