Snap / Flatpak

Miscellaneous discussion topics about Code_Saturne (development, ...)
Simbelmyne

Snap / Flatpak

Post by Simbelmyne »

Hello,

Any considerations for using Snap or Flatpak as a means to package the code?
Yvan Fournier

Re: Snap / Flatpak

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

We have not looked into this so far. I have briefly read some comparisons of different such systems, but that is about all.

We have started testing things with Docker a bit, but that is about all (alternative distribution or packaging systems seem to pup up faster than we can evaluate about them).

So we have no plans of our own to initiate this, but I would be happy to help/work with someone from the open source community who would want to work on it, and adapt the build scripts if needed.

Best regards,

Yvan
Simbelmyne

Post by Simbelmyne »

Thank you for the fast reply.

If I had the knowledge I would happily help with this. Unfortunately I do not.

Anyhow, the idea of "a distribution agnostic means of packaging software" seems like a good idea. Snap and Flatpak is supported by most of the major Linux distributions so packaging with either would probably help to spread CS to a wider audience (if this is desirable).
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, we are happy to distribute code_saturne to a wider audience, but there are so many competing "universal" systems that most are not really as universal as advertised, and all those we have tried have their subtle issues. Meaning using any of those systems require investing time, and hoping the chosen system itself has a wide enough audience so that time is not wasted.

Right now, we focus on Docker (also because it can be a basis for Singularity, which is well adapted to HPC systems), but if anybody reading this post has expertise with Snap/Flatpack and some motivation, they are welcome.

Best regards,

Yvan