Code Saturne with NVIDIA Tesla GPU

Miscellaneous discussion topics about Code_Saturne (development, ...)
cotefr

Code Saturne with NVIDIA Tesla GPU

Post by cotefr »

Hello to all,

I just got an old NVIDIA Tesla M2090 GPU card, and I'm interested to use it with Code Saturne. Does anyone here has experience running Code Saturne with a Tesla GPU card ? I'm interested to know how to get Code Saturne to use the GPU card, not the computer CPU, to perform its computations. If someone could share its experience or point me in the right direction to get information, it would be really great.

Thanks,

Francois
Yvan Fournier

Re: Code Saturne with NVIDIA Tesla GPU

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Code_Saturne does not yet directly support uses of GPUs. Preliminary work has been done in the past year by several teams, both experimenting with GPU-enabled libraries for linear solvers, with the simplest (but not fastest) approach being to use PETSc for linear systems solution (no Code_Saturne-specific publications yet, though PETSc has documentation at https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/features/gpus.html and probably some publications), the other being described in the first paper mentioned on this page:http://vecpar.fe.up.pt/2016/papers.html

This is still only work in progress, and only some stages of the code can be accelerated this way, so don't expect a huge gain if you try this...

As I said, this is very preliminary work, so unless you are an experienced GPU programmer interested in participating in code development for those aspects (rather than simply using the code), you probably don't want to bother with this. If you really do want to tackle this, I can suggest some tests orthogonal to the ones done by the other teams, for maximum "usefulness" (but not guaranteed results).

Best regards,

Yvan
cotefr

Re: Code Saturne with NVIDIA Tesla GPU

Post by cotefr »

Thank you Yvan for the information. Therefore, I will forget about using the GPU with Code Saturne for some time.

Regards,

François