Turbomachinery module

Miscellaneous discussion topics about Code_Saturne (development, ...)
Talamak

Turbomachinery module

Post by Talamak »

Hi all,

I am currently working on problems involving the turbomachinery module.

I was wondering if any details about the numerical method are available?

The header to the file cs_turbomachinery.c says: Functions associated to ALE formulation. Hence, just out of curiosity, I have been trying to find out how it works, but without any great sucess.

I understand that at each time step, the rotating part of the mesh is rotated according to the parameters entered by the user and that the preprocessor is called to join the two meshes back together. What is more difficult to grasp for me is how the flow physics are treated.

If anyone could provide me with some information regarding this module (even a quick overview of the main steps), I would be very grateful.

Thank you,
Yvan Fournier

Re: Turbomachinery module

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

The reference to ALE in the header is a copy/paste related error, which was fixed in the trunk.
There is a resemblence to ALE, in the sense that the mesh velocity must be added to the mass flux.

Besides the rotation/joining aspects you mention, most of the specific numerics is handled in predvv.f90 and navstv.f90.

If I remember, the prediction is done prior to rotation/joining, and the pressure correction step is done after, but I am not 100% sure, so I'll let you check the details in the aforementioned files.

People who are more knowledgeable in that part of the code might provide more details (or references)

Regards,

Yvan
Talamak

Re: Turbomachinery module

Post by Talamak »

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

The information you have provided on the method is the kind that I am looking for. I'll check into the files you mentioned to get more details.

Thanks again,

Kind regards

Talamak