Code_Saturne for Dummy

Miscellaneous discussion topics about Code_Saturne (development, ...)
creating_cold

Code_Saturne for Dummy

Post by creating_cold »

Dear Coleagues!
i would like to share my experience with CS and how it came to the point of being totally obsessed with it . Few years back i have noticed that balancing of chilled water piping network is really tricky and more or less balancing of piping network is so roughly made that a lot of engineers today consider it impossible....I never wanted to accept that fact but projects pace and overall saturation of work never gave me the chance to deeper look into this field. Until 2 months back. There was a problem on the building site, cooling coils where not getting sufficient water, there was no clogging, all valves had certificates, pumps where selected properly but still there was a problem with balancing. Accidentally i checked one youtube clip and after few minutes of googling decision was made, shall give it a try. I have installed CAE linux, made a 3D model of T fitting in Solid works(element that i doubted due to funny construction), exported it into salome, mashed it, started CS and i got results. Shocked at first instance, Pressure drop was 77kPa instead of declared 5kPa...That was an eyes opener!!! With code saturne i managed to solve the problem at minimal cost by replacing fitting on critical route..I must say that it was just a pure coincidence that i decided to implement this software in my field of activities and i hope that with help of you guys (here on this forum) I will manage to get CS coming closer to "ordinary" applications like refrigeration and HVAC on daily business. I believe that CS is not so difficult to learn, i made my first simulations that was correct after few hours (most likely coincidence, but who cares, it boosted my moral) and after seeing this as a possibility, i am motivated to make myself exploring CS all the way to the point where i can say: CS is possible to be used also by ordinary dummy engineer!