Chimera meshes

Miscellaneous discussion topics about Code_Saturne (development, ...)
hpascalj

Chimera meshes

Post by hpascalj »

Hello,

Surfing on the WEB, one can see that, from 2000 to 2010,
there were efforts to run (with code Saturne) CFD tasks on Chimera meshes ,
and it has demonstrates to be that much satisfactory/promising at that time (so far I understood well).

I have checked the list of discussions posted on the forum “Code_Saturne usage”,
And I have not found that much related to the topic.

Thus my questions read as follows :
- are chimera functionalities under development / in progress, currently ?
- do we need more than a mesh file (CGNS format) plus the Chimera fields (calculated/blanked/interpolated),
to perform the CFD calculation with code_saturne ?

Best regards,
H
Yvan Fournier

Re: Chimera meshes

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Code-code coupling features similar to Chimera are available, but not being actively improved. This is not a true Chimera functionnality, as the coupling is quite weak (explicit coupling, with possible sub-iterations). It may be used either for RANS-LES coupling (using meshes with different refinements, but similar boundaries, so as to avoid too weak pressure coupling, but allow coupling of averaged/detailed turbulenc features), or for rotor/stator interaction (for which another approach, using mesh joining, is available since version 3.2 and has ben the subjet of many posts on this forum already).

Code-code coupling requires 2 separate computational domains, so you do need more than one mesh file (to be more precise/pedantic, you can have different meshes in a single CGNS file, so 2 domains could use the same file with different meshes, but this is nitpciking).

And as you may have guessed from the above, values are intrpolated, but not blanked.

Regards,

Yvan