Help needed for Windows build

Miscellaneous discussion topics about Code_Saturne (development, ...)
Yvan Fournier

Help needed for Windows build

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello to all,

We are happy to provide Windows builds to our users, but the current build system is fragile, and our team is not too familiar with Windows development, so Windows builds tend to be released with some delay.

If anyone on this forum is willing to contribute with this, whether by getting a toolchain and prerequisites running, or suggesting and implementing a new approach, they are welcome.

Hoping someone can help here.

Best regards,

Yvan
Yvan Fournier

Re: Help needed for Windows build

Post by Yvan Fournier »

For Windows 10 users, the Linux subsystem for Windows is the best option.

A native Windows build of the GUI combined with a (non-graphical) build of the other parts of the system would avoid the requirement for an X server. A web-based version of the GUI would also do here. We are working on improving the back-end of the GUI, but any help on the front-end would be appreciated.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Update: the Windows builds are not provided anymore (since v6.0/2019):

- they were build using CygWin/Mingw, but the HDF5 library (required for MED en CGNS mesh libraries) became unsupported on that platform (requiring either pure Windows, or full Cygwin or Linux)
* providing a build which cannot read meshes generated by a large fraction of meshing tools is not so useful anymore

- the build machine and environment was obsolete and has been retired. Due to lack of interest/need/manpower/priority, it was not replaced.

Building on modern Windows WSL works fine. We may work on containerized versions in the future, but have no spceific timeline for this. So contributions for other build types are welcome.
ywan459

Post by ywan459 »

Hi,

I have complied my one on Windows Subsystem for Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS). There is no tricky issues, just simply follow the given the code_saturne instruction. Yes user has to install some library and tools before compilation, such as bulid essential package, OpenMPI and Qt etc.. For GUI, I am using MobaXterm. User just launch the WLS on MobaXterm, the GUI should pop up as on the native platform.

Regards
ywan459
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Thank for your feedback.

This solution has also been used on our side, especially in some courses with Students at schools which have WSL installs but no native Linux machines. I have not checked, but from what I have read, more recent versions of WSL2 might even allow the GUI to work without a separate X server.

A solution considered would also be to adapt the GUI so it can be installed directly on Windows (basically copying the Linux installed directory on Windows), an running the GUI on native Windows and the non-graphical part on WSL. It has been tested with a few manual edits, and works, but no install using this solution is automated yet.

So if some Windows fan has time on their hands and wants to work on a more "native" Windows version, they are still welcome. Otherwise, WSL is a practical solution.

Best regards,

Yvan
roberto.bernetti

Post by roberto.bernetti »

Hello
under the WSL2 and ubuntu it is possible to install the version 6.0.2-1 available as a package in the ubuntu repository.
The GUI work out-of-the box with no need for a swparate xserver.

P.S. The version does not have the bug-fix for the compressible Module.
Saluti
Roberto
roberto.bernetti

I tried to install code_saturne-7.0.4 on ubuntu WSL2.

I got the following error and warning:

Code: Select all

config.status: error: in `/home/robber/saturneCode/saturneBiuld/prod':
config.status: error: Something went wrong bootstrapping makefile fragments
    for automatic dependency tracking.  Try re-running configure with the
    '--disable-dependency-tracking' option to at least be able to build
    the package (albeit without support for automatic dependency tracking).
See `config.log' for more details

configure: WARNING: no MPI support
configure: WARNING: no HDF5 file support
configure: WARNING: no hdf5 library found; will not search for MED
configure: WARNING: no MEDCoupling file support
configure: WARNING: doxygen not found
configure: WARNING: dot not found
Please can someone point me to the ubuntu package name nedded?
Saluti
Roberto
roberto.bernetti

I resort to the semi-automatic installation and it works fine.
I summarize my step:
  • after the installation of the ubuntu WSL2 on a windows 11 using apt-get I installed a program that uses a GUI (i.e. gedit) to install all the necessary library

set up in the home user directory the installation manual indication about the built directory structure

install build packages by

sudo apt-get install build-essential
    move on the build directory and first run of

../../code_saturne-7.0.4/install_saturne.py
    modify the setup file requesting the library that it is needed

second run of

../../code_saturne-7.0.4/install_saturne.py
The GUI works fine, I am in the process of testing the solver
Saluti
Roberto
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

I will move or discard your posts in this section, because the original post is about development questions, not direct feedback on an installation we know works. This hijacking of a thread makes it more difficult for someone who reads the title or searches this post to find the relevant information.

Please follow the forum guidelines. I already spend a lot of time helping people here, and any time I waste to people not following guidelines is time not spent actually helping.

Regards,

Yvan
roberto.bernetti

You are right I was a bit tired while writing the post and supposed I was in the installation section of the forum.
I am very sorry for the time I made you lost.
I'll move the post to installation if it can help.
Saluti
Roberto