Installation of Code Saturne : which version ?

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Alicia Consigny

Installation of Code Saturne : which version ?

Post by Alicia Consigny »

Hello all,

I will soon have to prepare a computer for CFD calculation, i.e. installing Ubuntu 10.04, and the following softwares : code saturne, salomé, paraview, syrthes. I'd like to make a clean installation, with the latest validated versions of each softwares.

Do you have any recommandations on which versions I should install for everything to work fine ? I'm thinking Saturne 2.0-rc1 (but I've seen somewhere that it's still a beta release, only partially validated... is it working good enough for industrial purpose ?), salomé 5.1.3 64 bits (my new computer will have 6 64 bits processors), paraview 3.8 64 bits, and syrthes 3.4.2. Is there any reason why I should not install these versions ? And by the way is there a 64 bit version of Saturne (and Syrthes) ? I will have to use the coupling between Saturne and Syrthes, can I do it with saturne 2.0-rc1 and Syrthes 3.4.2 or is there a better way ?

If you have any advice for me about the installation of all this, it would be very helpful ! :)

Thanks in advance,

Alicia
Yvan Fournier

Re: Installation of Code Saturne : which version ?

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Code_Saturne 2.0-rc2 is almost ready, and should be released early next week, so you might want to wait for that version, which includes several minor corrections compared to rc1, and is the one which will be cross-validated before becoming 2.0. So it should be very similar to 2.0 final.

Salome 5.1.4 should be out soon, but 5.1.3 will do in the meantime, and ParaView 3.8 and Syrthes 3.4.2 are the latest stable versions of those tools anyways (Syrthes 4 probably won't be out before the end of the year, but if you use a lot on non-conforming joinings leading to polyhedral cells in Code_Saturne, installing the developpement version of ParaView may be interesting, as it now suports true Polyhedral cells; this requires pulling it from a git server an compiling it so if you have meshes with no polyhedra, grabbign a binary 3.8 is much simpler).

Code_Saturne and Syrthes will automatically be 64-bit if you build them on a 64-bit Linux system (at least on Intel or AMD hardware, so no problem there).

And yes, Code_Saturne 2.0-rc1 and Syrthes 3.4.2 can be coupled easily using the regular Code_Saturne scripts. The only "better way" is the upcoming coupling with Syrthes 4, which is parallel, but that is still in testing and not quite ready for release yet.  :)

Best regards,

Yvan
Alicia Consigny

Re: Installation of Code Saturne : which version ?

Post by Alicia Consigny »

Thank you very much for all these helpful information ! I will wait a bit to have some remarks about the 2.0-rc2 version and maybe install it. Anyway I won't have my new computer until at least 2 or 3 weeks, so at this time maybe some users will have tried it and can tell me more about its daily use !

Regards,

Alicia