WSL_2_code_saturne_installation

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
C0st4s

WSL_2_code_saturne_installation

Post by C0st4s »

Hi,

I have recently tried to install code_saturne v7.0.0 and v.5.0.10 using the configure/make/make install approach in wsl 2 environment. However I ended up configuring and installing the code without openmpi i.e --disable-openmp but with CC=mpicc FC=gfortran. Enabling the openmpi led to the error seen in the attached image.
I have tested a case and run it with multiprocessors but I wanted to know if there are any options to enable openmpi to take advantage of the benefits of multithreading and the code capabilities. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Costas
Attachments
error.jpg
Yvan Fournier

Re: WSL_2_code_saturne_installation

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Note that OpenMP and Open MPI are completely different beasts.

OpenMP is a standard for (historically) shared-memory loop parallelization (and in more recent versions, local task-based parallelism and accelerator offload).

Open MPI is one of the 2 main MPI distributions, MPI being used for distributed memory parallelism.

In any case, why did you try code_saturne-v7.0.0 and not v7.0.3 (released since January) or now v7.0.4 (released today) ?
I am not sure this will make a difference here, but there is no good reason to use a retired version.

As for v5.0, it is retired, v5.0.10 had some OpenMP compilation issues with gcc 10, but those were fixed in v5.0.12, and should not appear in the v7.0 series, so your issue must be different.

Also, which gcc version are you using ? OpenMP syntax handling may be slightly different between versions.

Best regards,

Yvan
C0st4s

Re: WSL_2_code_saturne_installation

Post by C0st4s »

Hi Yvan,

Thanks for the clarification since I recently started reading on OpenMP and Open MPI. Any good references in mind?

Is also valid to assume that the second MPI distributions you refer is the MPICH?

Basically I installed retired versions because I had some test cases completed in v5.0.8 for some publications and I did not have the time to run and test them on the latest versions (convert the routines from F90 to C).

The gcc version that is installed is 9.4.0 rather than 10.

Best regards,
Costas