Starting calculation

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Yvan Fournier

Re: Starting calculation

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, we had observed this also. One difference is that the "check mesh" directly runs an executable through Python while running a full case runs a shell script (which itself calls Python code). This is why I asked if you used a shell different than bash (just in case)...

So we know the issue occurs with more layers of code, but still not why...

Best regards,

Yvan
noamc

Post by noamc »

Hello Yvan,

Today, my colleague needed to launch a calculation on my computer using the version 4.0.9 of Code_Saturne and it worked when I pushed the button "Start calculation". So I re-tried with my study but it didn't work.
I can't publish the cases because it is very confidential but I will try to find what are the differences which may cause the problem on my own, maybe this week.
I hope that knowing that could help you too.

Best regards,
Noam
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Is this a centralized install or you own install ? If it is a local install and modifying it slightly does not affect other users, I could try to add some additional logging to the Python scripts for version 4.0.9 that you could run ("hoping" you still reproduce the error) to try to understand more precisely where things lock up.

Best regards,

Yvan
noamc

Post by noamc »

Hello Yvan,

No, it is my own install.
I checked some fles but they are the same in both cases : SCRIPTS/runcase, DATA/saturneGUI and all directories are composed by the same files (except the name of the boundary conditions for example, and the xml file).

Best regards,
Noam
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Could you try replacing BatchRunningView.py by the attached version in gui/Pages and reinstalling or directly in the install directory, under lib/<python_version>/site-packages/code_saturne/Pages ?

I have simply added some logging which might help in debugging (though several iterations will probably be necessary).

Best regards,

Yvan
Attachments
BatchRunningView.py
(39.4 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
noamc

Post by noamc »

Hello Yvan,

Do I have just to replace this file or do I have to do something else ? Because I put it in lib/<python_version>/site-packages/code_saturne/Page and it didn't work, maybe because there is something else to do before.

Best regards,
Noam
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Replacing the previous version should be enough.

How did it fail ? If I made a typo/syntax error (possible, I did it quickly), you should have an error message (an I can fix based on that). It the script runs but produces the same issue as before, you should hopefully have a bit more info in the terminal from which you ran the GUI, based on the added logging (but the initial bug will still be there).

Best regards,

Yvan
noamc

Post by noamc »

Hello,

Ok, that's what I did but nothing has changed.
So I tried looking at the terminal and there is the message :
starting command: /home/noam/Documents/2-ESSAIS/SCRIPTS/runcase
before self.proc.start /home/noam/Documents/2-ESSAIS/SCRIPTS/runcase
after self.proc.start /home/noam/Documents/2-ESSAIS/SCRIPTS/runcase
dialog created
finished command: /home/noam/Documents/2-ESSAIS/SCRIPTS/runcase
I wait but nothing happen in the window.

Regards
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Ok this is strange because more messages should appear in between, but this does provide some information.

I attach a version with additional, finer-grained logging...

Best regards,

Yvan
Attachments
BatchRunningView.py
(39.59 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
noamc

Post by noamc »

Hello Yvan,

First, sorry to answer you very late.

Then, before I put BatchRunningView.py, I saw that in all versions of code_saturne, my new case (a new confidential study) is launched with the button.
But for example the case simple junction from the website does not work, even after I put the file you sent me and nothing appears on the termnial when I click on "start calculation".
I can't see where the problem happen (or if it is just a random problem ?!)

Best regards
Noam