Installation on Cygwin

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
stephio_maf

Installation on Cygwin

Post by stephio_maf »

Hello,

After compiling/installing CS5.0.3 on cygwin/Win7, I get the following error message when i try to import the mesh from the GUI:
C:/cygwin64/usr/local/libexec/code_saturne/cs_preprocess.exe: error while loading shared libraries: cygmedC-1.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error running the preprocessor.

the cygmedC-1.dll is located in the med/bin directory. I used the libraries located in this same directory to compile CS. could you suggest a workaround please?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephane
Yvan Fournier

Re: Installation on Cygwin

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I moved your post, as it was in the wrong section.

Not sure I can be much help on Cygwin, but I'll try. Could you specify how you installed MED, and also profive the config.log for Code_Saturne ?

Regards,

Yvan
stephio_maf

Post by stephio_maf »

hello,
for med:
I used med 3.2.1 source, and I used the following configure command:
$ ./configure --prefix=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/med --with-hdf5=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/HDF5/1.8.19 --with-f90=gfortran F77=gfortran FFLAGS=-fdefault-integer-8 FCFLAGS=-fdefault-integer-8 --disable-python

for CS configure, I am using:
/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/code_saturne-5.0.3/configure --with-libxml2=/cygdrive/c/cygwin64/usr --with-hdf5=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/HDF5/1.8.19 --with-med=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/med --with-cgns=/cygdrive/c/cygwin64/usr/local --with-scotch=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/scotch --with-metis=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/CYGWIN_NT-6.1-x86_64 --with-freesteam=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/freesteam 'LDFLAGS=-lintl' CC=mpicc FC=gfortran

I tried compiling a version without med (I can manage working with only cgns), and without scotch/ptscotch (the shared libraries won't build under cygwin). the resulting configure command is:
/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/code_saturne-5.0.3/configure --with-libxml2=/cygdrive/c/cygwin64/usr --with-hdf5=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/HDF5/1.8.19 --with-cgns=/cygdrive/c/cygwin64/usr/local --with-metis=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/Metis --with-freesteam=/cygdrive/d/cs/code_saturne-5.0.3.tar/opt/freesteam PYTHON=/usr/bin/python 'LDFLAGS=-lintl' CC=mpicc FC=gfortran

I also omitted ptesc, but I admit not knowing what I'm missing by not including it. I tested the build with the "simple nuclear vessel" example. With 2 processes, the calculation fails with the following error message: "Partitioning 97558 cells to 2 domains on 2 ranks
(ParMETIS_V3_PartKway).
SIGSEGV signal (forbidden memory area access) intercepted!

"
is it because scotch/ptscotch is not available?
with one processor however (serial) it runs. so my main question is:

do you manage to build the shared libraries of scotch/ptscotch on cygwin?

On a side note, i tried building CoolProp on a Debian9 virtual machine following the instructions in the install manual, without success: this is also a problem I need to tackle when I'm good to go with CS

Stephane
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I have only spent "minimal" time on Cygwin, so I'm probably not of much help for this.

Regarding Pt-SCotch or ParMEtis, if you do not use either one, Code_Saturne will use a "built-in" space-filling curve (fractal) partitioning. The partitioning quality may be slightly lower, but of which can be a pain to install in some cases (ParMetis 4 is much better than the older ParMetis 3, but can still be a pain in some combinations; PT-SCOTCH's system is simple and efficient, but bad on automation).

So my reommendation is: forget Metis or Scotch, use the simple default; it should be good enough.

Best regards,

Yvan