Tutorials update and freesteam library

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
stephio_maf

Tutorials update and freesteam library

Post by stephio_maf »

Hello,
I've noticed that most tutorials are based on old versions (2.0,3.0) of code Saturne.
aren't there up-to-date tutorials with more use of the GUI ?
also, i read that it is possible to use the freesteam library, but do we need to compile it? is it possible with the windows binary? do you need a subroutine? concretely Is it possible to get a simple example using the freesteam library?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Stephane
Yvan Fournier

Re: Tutorials update and freesteam library

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, not all tutorials have been updated, but they should be mostly usable (some additional options are available, but not so many have been removed).

For Freesteam, yes, you need to compile the code... On Windows, that woul mean rebuilding everything under either Cygwin or the Linux subsystem for Linux (Ubuntu or OpenSUSE, Ubuntu being more familiar for me in case of questions, thouhg I have used both).

Best regards,

Yvan
stephio_maf

Post by stephio_maf »

Hello,

I've been reading the installation manual for version 5.0, and I really need help with the Cygwin/Windows7 Installation.
What I understood so far:
- I need to use freesteam, so using the default windows built is not an option.
- The automated python script only covers a limited/necessary amount of third-party libraries (freesteam not included)--> is it possible to easily edit it in order to include freesteam? (I'm guessing No)
Then I'm left with the manual install which uses the "Configure" file. I am not extremely familiar with Linux, but I'm the only one trying to use it on the job so I really need some help here:

- Binaries & source code of freesteam for windows are available, so is it possible to install freesteam from the binary on the system (in the /Opt folder), and proceed to the CS build configuration? Do I Need to build it from scratch?

Build Configuration process:
- I understood The Third-party Libraries should all be manually downloaded and installed into a "opt/" folder. This includes the libraries normally covered by the automated script. I tried writing a configuration sample based on what I saw in section "6.9" of the installation manual could you please tell me if it's correct?

$ SRC PATH=/home/projects/Code Saturne/5.0.3
$ INSTALL PATH=/home/projects/Code Saturne/5.0.3
$ CS OPT=/home/projects/opt
$ $SRC PATH/code saturne-5.0.3/configure \
--with-libxml2=$CS OPT/libxml2-2.8/s \
--with-hdf5=salome \
--with-med=salome \
--with-cgns=salome \
--with-PyQt5=salome \ #for CS Gui
--with-ccm=$CS OPT/libccmio-2.06.23 \
--with-scotch=$CS OPT/scotch-6.0 \
--with-metis=$CS OPT/parmetis-4.0 \
--with-freesteam=$CS OPT/freesteam-2.0 \ #Freesteam installed in the "/opt" folder from downloaded binary
--with-salome="???" # Difference between main installation directory and default application directory?

Thanks again for the help

Stephane
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, you must use the low-level installation.

Most of your command seems correct, except for the following:

-with-PyQt5=salome

because this part is not handled by the SALOME paths, and the detection does not use --with-pyqt, but optionally the PYUIC5 and PYRCC5 environment variables. In any case, if you have installed the packaged PyQt in Cygwin or Linux subsystem for Linux, it should be detected automatically.

I am also not sure about Salome for Cygwin. If there is no existing build, simply building/installing MED is probably sufficient (and you can use a Windows build of Salome; you simply loose the tighter integration of the GUI when building Code_Saturne without SALOME).

Also, unless you need to read .ccm meshes, you do not need to bother with libCCMIO.

Best regards,

Yvan
stephio_maf

Post by stephio_maf »

Hello,

I've been trying to build HDF5 and CGNS without success. it seems that the libraries found in the Salome's folder cannot be used (the headers are found but the tests are failing) I managed to build hdf5, but I get a worrying:

checking for H5Fopen in -lhdf5-shared... no
checking for H5Fopen in -lhdf5-static... no

when I configure CS build.
I managed to build cgns static libraries, but if i try with the shared libraries, i get:

make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/cgns_shared.dir/build.make:303: src/cygcgnsdll-3.3.dll] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:200: src/CMakeFiles/cgns_shared.dir/all] Error 2

I'm guessing the cgns shared libraries are necessary for CS, so could you help me find the problem?
I am including the CmakeCache.txt for cgns
Attachments
CMakeCache.txt
(21.58 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
stephio_maf

Post by stephio_maf »

Hello,

I tried with the "install_saturne.py" to see if it can compile and cgns on cygwin: it failed for both. i even tried using the hdf5 i compiled myself, but the python script still failed in building cgns.
i am working on win7/Cygwin 64bits with CS 5.0.3.

thanks in advance for your help.

stephane.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

One solution might be to install the precompiled Windows version (based on mingw), and use the CGNS and MED files installed with that for your own Cygwin build. As mingw has less dependencies than Cygwin, I assume it should work.

There might also be packaged veersions of CGNS uner Cygwin (not sure). In any case, for packaged version, make sure the associated development headers are also installed (-devel packages for most Linux distribs, though some such as Arch include headers by default; don't remeber whether Cygwin uses a similar packaging).

If you install Code_Saturne with static libaries (using the --disable-shared configure option), you should be able to work with static versions of libaries. Not the preferred mode on most machines (though the default on Crays or IBM Blue Genes), but should work fine.

I am only minimally familiar with Cygwin, and have not tested build of CGNS on it, so cant' say much (except that building on mingw instead of Cygwin is a pain and requires patched, older versions of hdf5, so it is probably worse). The Ubuntu Linux subsystem for Windows is probably a simpler solution, but requires Windows 10 (you seem to have 7).

Best regards,

Yvan
stephio_maf

Post by stephio_maf »

Hello,

I finally manage to configure CS_5.0.3 without any error (attached Config.log).
I had to stop using the latest cgns library, and use the same version as the installation script.
Now the problem is that make is returning an error and I am really clueless about its meaning (see make.log) please help!

Thanks

Stephane
Attachments
make.log
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
config.log
(259.94 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Last edited by stephio_maf on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
stephio_maf

Post by stephio_maf »

Hello,

I successfully completed the build and installation of CS_5.0.3 on Cygwin64bits/win7. the following argument was necessary in the configure command:'LDFLAGS=-lintl'.
now I am trying to build CoolProp, following the instruction given in the install manual, but I get an error about sprintf not being part of fmt....
I will start working with freesteam for now.

Stephane