installation Salome+CS+Syrthes via VM on ubuntu 15.10

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
jgd23

installation Salome+CS+Syrthes via VM on ubuntu 15.10

Post by jgd23 »

Hello,

I am a new user and a beginner with Linux... (bad start)
I used to work with Comsol, Elmer CSC and have little experience with Salome.
EDF opensource tools seems very powerfull but how to install all of these?

There is lot of topics and versions...

I have created a virtual machine (virtual box) on my CPU. I have installed Ubuntu 15.10 64 bits.

But now, in which order I have to proceed to have a full installation Salome code Saturne and Syrthes?

Is there some kind of step by step installation manual for beginner? (I have already read the installation manual for code Saturne but sometimes I feel lost).

Best regards

Julien
Yvan Fournier

Re: installation Salome+CS+Syrthes via VM on ubuntu 15.10

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I recommend installing SALOME first (using the binary installers from www.salome-platform.org), then Code_Saturne (allowing you to use SALOME libraries such as MED, though you will need to add "--with-hdf5=..." and "--with-med=..."), and finally Syrthes (allowing you to use the PLE library installed by default with Code_Saturne.

I am not aware of global step by step installation instructions, though there might be some "not too old" threads on this forum, so you can try that, but I recommend asking questions as you progress...

Regards,

Yvan
jgd23

Post by jgd23 »

Thank you for your answer,

I have installed Salome without problem. I have used a "chmod -x" command to allow the file .run to be execute.
Next step, Code Saturne:
- I have downloaded production version 4.0.5
- I have extract the file in home/julien/Code_Saturne. A new folder has been created "code_saturne-4.0.5"
- I have done the command line "./configure" in the home/julien/Code_Saturne/code_saturne-4.0.5
- I create a new folder "saturne_build" and execute "../code_saturne-4.0.5/install_saturne.py"
- I update the setup file created in the saturne_build folder. Issues are coming... You told me to add "--with-hdf5=..." and "--with-med=...", what does it means? In the set up file? Change for hdf5 Use = yes Path = "I don't where is this file or folder?", the same for med; Use = yes Path= "I don't know where? and syntax??"
Other problem, for the Fortran compiler at the line "NEEDS DEFINITION" what should I write?

Best regards

Julien
Attachments
config.log
(22.63 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

You should not run both ./configure and install_saturne.py, as the Python installer is a superscript, which generates a "setup" file in which you can add the paths. I recommend trying that first, but you should not run configure from the sources directory, but from a separate directory (this is detailed in the install manual; the Python installer guides you). Thr paths for HDF5 and MED depend on your SALOME installation path and build.

Also, if the fortran entry indicates "NEEDS DEFINITION", you can replace it with "gfortran", but it probably means you have no Fortran compiler installed, so you need to do that first.

Baiscally, you don't need to read the whole Code_Saturne installation manual, but you should read the sections on prerequisistes and optional packages, to check which Ubuntu packages you need to install first (as installing those through Ubuntu is much simpler than compiling them).

You'll need at least gdortran, and Open MPI or MPICH is stronlgy recommended (required if you want to couple with Syrthes).

Regards,

Yvan
jgd23

Post by jgd23 »

Hello Yvan,

Thank you.
I have installed gfortran 95 and Open MPI via the synaptic interface.
I restart from the beginning the Code Saturne installation without the ./configure command line, only the "install_saturne.py".
I modify the set up file (file joined)
You are right, now in the set up file gfortan is detected.

I have an error message:
Abording installation
'home/julien/salome/Salome-V7_7_1-x86_64/prerequisites/Hdf5-1814' path is provided for 'hdf5' in the set up file but is not a directory.
Please check your setup file.

I don't know exactly where the path must aimed, a directory, an executable file? Because Hdf5-1814 is a directory.

For the other features what can I do? I leave no everywhere?
hdf5 yes no home/julien/salome/Salome-V7_7_1-x86_64/prerequisites/Hdf5-1814
cgns no no None
med yes no home/julien/salome/Salome-V7_7_1-x86_64/module/MED_V7_7_1
scotch no no None
parmetis no no None
libxml2 no no None

Best regards

Julien
Attachments
setup.txt
(4.14 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
jgd23

Post by jgd23 »

If I try to install Code Saturne with the default set up file I have also an error.
Log file attached
Attachments
config.log
(140.21 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

The relevant error in you config.log (lost in the middle of the file, as always with autoconf) is:
error: cannot find PyQt4 dev tools, Graphical User Interface cannot be installed
So you need to install those pyqt4-dev (or some similarly-named package).

Regards,

Yvan
jgd23

Post by jgd23 »

Hello Yvan,

I have installed PyQt4 with the default set up file and Code Saturne is installed without any error.

Now I want to link Code Saturne with Salome Hdf5-1814 and MED_V7_7_1 directories.

I have tried in the set up file:
Use Install Path
hdf5 yes no home/salome/Salome-V7_7_1-x86_64/Hdf5-1814
med yes no home/salome/Salome-V7_7_1-x86_64/modules/MED_V7_7_1

But I have an error 'home/salome/Salome-V7_7_1-x86_64/Hdf5-1814' path is provided for'hdf5' in the set up file but is not a directory. Please check your set up file.

What can I change to install correctly hdf5 and med?

Best regards

Julien
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

It seems you simply forgot the "/" before "home" (should be "/home").

Best regards,

Yvan
jgd23

Post by jgd23 »

Hello Yvan,

Thank you, I am sorry for the stupid question.
I have installed Code Saturn with the set up file modified and I think that there is no problem.

I don't have see any change in salome menu. I thank that I can find a cfdstudy node... Is it nomal?
I think that I have to change no to yes in the set up file:
salome = no, but if I change I have an error...

I install now syrthes4.3.0. In the set up file I modify only the last answer to couple with:
ple use = yes
syrthescfd install=yes

I have not linked with already installed libraries like med or hdf5. That's a problem?

I have an error during the installation of Metis-5.1.0