cs 4.1.1 and hdf5 on a Debian machine

All questions about installation
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Elektrix

cs 4.1.1 and hdf5 on a Debian machine

Post by Elektrix »

Hello all,

this is my second attempt to get calculations done with Code Saturne. I have Debian Stretch AMD64 on my computer with a quad core pentium. Installation of code saturne from the repositories failed probably due to the renaming problem mentioned in another post (code-saturne <> code_saturne) so I downloaded CS 4.1.1 directly from the web page.

As I use salome 7.6.0 for geometry and meshing I want to use med format. So hdf5 is needed. libhdf5-10 and libhdf5-dev from the Debian repositories are installed but not accepted by the installation script. install_saturne.log says:

Code: Select all

checking hdf5.h usability... no
checking hdf5.h presence... no
checking for hdf5.h... no
checking hdf5.h usability... no
checking hdf5.h presence... no
checking for H5Fopen in -lhdf5... no
configure: error: in `/home/friedrich/code_saturne-4.1.1.build':
configure: error: HDF5 support is requested, but test for HDF5 failed!
See `config.log' for more details
In the setup file I set the path to libhdf5 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu where the hdf5 library is. The installed files are named: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd ... 0/filelist and https://packages.debian.org/stretch/amd ... 0/filelist and some more: -hl-cpp, -cpp,... Is it possible that the installation script searches for other file names than those present?

How can I continue, either with the Debian package or the original one?

Best regards

Elektrix
Yvan Fournier

Re: cs 4.1.1 and hdf5 on a Debian machine

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Could you post the files indicated in the forum recommendations (i.e. the config.log file) ?

Did you try to read the config.log ?

In the piece you posted, I see:
You are probably missing the hdf5-dev package (and possibly other *-dev packages). You should install those packages, as recommended in the installation manual.

Otherwise, on Debian Sid, it seems that the fixed package has just been updated. I am not sure about Debian stable or testing, but if the package was updated this week, it is probably the fix, so you may try that again.

Regards,

Yvan
Elektrix

Re: cs 4.1.1 and hdf5 on a Debian machine

Post by Elektrix »

Hello Yvan,

thank you very much for your reply! Sorry that I didn't give you all the information requested. The easiest solution is what you proposd: The latest version of the Debian package has a fix for the naming problem. This package, version code-saturne (4.1.1+repack-2) has already arrived in testing. I installed it and now everything works including med file support without further configuration :-)

This could also be a solution to the ubuntu problem from another thread here.

Thanks again

Elektrix