Tube heat enchange

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
psicofil

Tube heat enchange

Post by psicofil »

Hello I am trying to run a case of a tube that receives a flow of heat and is cooled by a fluid (a heat exchanger). I attach an image of the case I want to simulate. Reading the user guide (version 7.1), I understand that it can be done in code_saturne with the Internal Fluid-Thermal coupling option. I have followed the steps of the guide but it is not clear to me how to configure the mesh and the border conditions of my model.

I attach the model to see if you can contribute or give me advice

Thank you very much for the help
Excuse my bad English, greetings.
Attachments
TuboM2.unv
(9.43 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
setup.xml
(12.64 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
HeatTube.png
Yvan Fournier

Re: Tube heat enchange

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

In the code_saturne GUI; you need to define a volume zone based on the "Solid" group selection criterion (based on the groups present in your mesh), and in the "Volume zones" section check the "solid" box for the zone. The internal coupling feature should then be available.

Regards,

Yvan
jacob

Post by jacob »

Hello,
I am trying to simulate something similar, but I cannot prescribe physical properties for the fluid domain.

Also, there is no option for solid-fluid interface.
Attachments
image_2022-09-21_152150084.png
image_2022-09-21_152111893.png
image_2022-09-21_152046428.png
Last edited by jacob on Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacob

Post by jacob »

files
Attachments
case_2.rar
(189.49 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

This may be a minor bug. What is usually done is to define the fluid physical properties for the default "all cells" volume zone, and the solid physical properties for the solid zone. In this case, you can "uncheck" the "physical properties" box for the fluid zone, and check the one for "all cells".

Let's see if that works.

Regards,

Yvan
jacob

Post by jacob »

Thanks for reply.

And how do I prescribe coupling between fluid_solid boundaries? Is it enough just have merged mesh or use face joining?

Also, why the rough wall option is greyed out?

Why there is no option for "steady state" soluton? Code_saturne calculates only transient?
Attachments
image_2022-09-22_073708969.png
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

You need to visit the "Coupling Parameters" page, "Internal Coupling" tab, and check "couple scalar in solid zones" for the temperature.

The rest is automatic: the mesh is subdivided automatically along the fluid-solid boundary, and default wall laws are applied.

Default boundary groups are also created ("auto:internal_coupling_0_fluid" and "auto:internal_coupling_0_solid" if I remember correctly, but you can check in the run_solver.log after a first test.) Using those, if necessary, you can define mesh boundary zones to apply additional settings. This is useful for example to indicate surface properties for radiation.
But in the common/simple case, you do not need this.

Finally,

- you have nor "rough wall" option because this is related to turbulence modelling, and you are not using a turbulence model.

- There is no "true" steady model in code_saturne, but a "pseudo-steady" option which you seem to have activated. There have been other attempts at steady models, but they were less robust (there is actually one in the CDO modeling, but this is not in the GUI yet). The pseudo-steady model provides a steady-state result, not interpretable as a transient, but you may need to use probes in addition to checking residuals to really check for convergence (we do not use automatic convergence criteria, as those are not always reliable when there is even a bit of "jitter' in the solution).

Best regards,

Yvan
jacob

Post by jacob »

Well I checked couple scalar in solid zones, but until I used joining faces in mesh tab, there was no heat transfer.

But I have no option rough wall even if I tick turbulence.

Ok but coudn't I enter some very small value for specific heat capacity to obtain steady state solution faster?
If I try that for solids it works, for fluids it gives nonesence.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Helko,

You idea of entering a small value for Cp is actually very similar to thev "time step factor" option under "Numerical Parameters/Equation parameters" in the GUI.

So either of those options should work.

Best regards,

Yvan
jacob

Post by jacob »

Well, I am no able to put any value in time step factor.