Alternative writers not working?

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
joshbowden

Alternative writers not working?

Post by joshbowden »

Dear Code_Saturne support (in particular, Yvan),

I am working on an integration project to have the Damaris library running asynchronous I/O on a code, for which I have chosen Code_Saturne as a target code.

I am trying to get the Catalyst output to work and have come across an issue where it, and also none of the alternative postprocessing writers are writing output (MED and Catalyst tested).
i.e. the only writer being called is the Ensight Gold default. The CS GUI in the postprocessing->Writer tab shows that both MED and Catalyst writers are installed.

Is this a known issue?

I tried compiling with Catalyst as a plugin and with the --disable-catalyst-as-plugin option, both with same issue.

My system is:
Debian 10 (VM on virtualbox)
Code_Saturne 6.04
Catalyst installed via Paraview 5.8 (using Spack)

fvm_writer_get_format_id() seems to findthat they are available, but only Ensight Gold is actually registered (fvm_writer_init()) and used - the only output in the postprocessing directory is Ensight Gold format.

Thanks for any help with this.

Kind regards,
Josh Bowden
Yvan Fournier

Re: Alternative writers not working?

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Did you associate any output mesh with the additional writers ?

By default no mesh is associated with additional writers (as they are often used for specific extracts and only the user knows what should be output), so you may have missed that step.

If it still fails, can you post the run log files and setup.xml/user sources?

Regards,

Yvan
joshbowden

Post by joshbowden »

Dear Yvan,

That is what I was missing. The next tab in the GUI ("Mesh") let me do the associations, I had missed the fact that they were required.

Then I just needed to change the name used for my dataset in the Catalyst script to the script name (without the .py extension, which I also used for the Catalyst writer Name in the GUI) -

e.g. Edit catalyst_slice_xy.py
and chage:
coprocessor.CreateProducer(datadescription, 'RESULTS_FLUID_DOMAIN.case')
to:
coprocessor.CreateProducer(datadescription, 'catalyst_slice_xy')

and change all other references to RESULTS_FLUID_DOMAIN.case to catalyst_slice_xy in the script.

and all worked well!

Thanks for your help,
Regards,
Josh
joshbowden

Post by joshbowden »

One further comment - My setup of Code_Saturne only worked with --disable-catalyst-as-plugin.

I'm not sure i'll have much time to look into that issue for them moment, as I have an MPI based problem i am running in to now.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Did you try the "--enable-dlopen-rtld-global" configure option ? It was added some while ago as an alternative to "--disable-catalyst-as-plugin."

In any case, this is what I use on most of my builds. Using no option has not worked for a while (see this discussion https://cmake.org/pipermail/paraview/20 ... 41769.html).

Best regards,

Yvan