Converting code-saturne IO files to something readable.

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
cwinant

Converting code-saturne IO files to something readable.

Post by cwinant »

Hi

As part of a different question I have enquired before how to get direct (ie without paraview/paravis) access to code saturne output, and now I would also like to have access to input (MED) files.

A useful answer was to use the code-saturne bdump utility, but I havent figured out how that would work, and the info file is not very useful. Under CASEx/RESU/yyyymmdd... there is a checkpoints directory that always contains three files: auxiliary main mesh_input, if these are the checkpoint files, then how to let code-saturne know their PATH? I assume that one contains info about the grid while the other contains u,v,w,p at the center of each cell. With bdump is the extraction to stdout? What does "location" refer to?
In SaturneGUI, on the postprocessing page, in the writer tab, one can select between different formats, with EnSight as default. Are there utilities to convert these formats to ascii or even documented binary?

Asking ParaView to convert from the (EnSight) input to some other format has not been successful.

Finally to be complete, I would very much like to understand what the contents of the mesh.med file are. Is there a way that might be deciphered?

Thanks so much.
Yvan Fournier

Re: Converting code-saturne IO files to something readable.

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

You can run "code_saturne bdump --help" for the options description. The location id allows filtering constant, cell-based, face-based, .... values, but if you simply use the "code_saturne bdump --extract --section <name>" option, you do not need it. The output is always to stdout.

You willnot have the cell center coordinates by default using the checkpoint files, which is where PAraView/VTK would help. What difficulties did you have with that ? If you create a spreadsheet view, than save data as CSV, it should work.

Regards,

Yvan
cwinant

Post by cwinant »

Hi

(1) As far as Paraview is concerned I have never been able to return to spreadsheet view after either the boundary or fluid domain case files were loaded. This may be because the Paraview package for debian bullseye is bugful.

(2) I have found that if I set the Writer file (postprocessing page in StaurneGUI) format to cgns, then the code-saturne output and the mesh can be viewed with the cgnstool "cgnsview"
In Debian bullseye the suite of cgns tools is included in the package cgns-convert (confusing because cgns wiki refers to this package as cgns Tools).

(3) cgns maintains a full set of fortran and C libraries.

(4) the very new package cgns4m contains a full set of utilities for cgns files for both Matlab and octave:
https://github.com/meshkit/cgns4m
There is a cgns4py on the road
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Good if that works for you.

Just in case, in ParaView, you cannot "return" to a spreadsheet view, but need to add a new spreadsheet view. I just tested it on Debian sid, and it works.

Regards,

Yvan