Code_Saturne Syrthes coupling with heavy meshes

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Fanny.DM

Code_Saturne Syrthes coupling with heavy meshes

Post by Fanny.DM »

Hi,

I've been using Code-Saturne (v3.0.5) and Syrthes (v 4.1.1) for 4-5years for my work (hvac simulations), and I often encounter the same problem when using heavy meshes.

The matter is, when I run coupled simulations, the calculation starts, and stops
etape2.zip
(61.47 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
at mesh structure and coupling computation (process are still running, but calculation never goes on to next stage).

This bug occurs one or twice for each calculation realised, and until now I solved it simply by killing/running again the simulation, without any change, until it finally goes to first iteration.

The matter is, I'm currently trying to run a new coupled case, and I already tried to kill/run it many times without success.
Code_Saturne and Syrthes calculations work fine separatly.

May the problem come from my installation?

Here are the files I'm using (except meshes who are too large)

Best regards,

Fanny
Yvan Fournier

Re: Code_Saturne Syrthes coupling with heavy meshes

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Are you running on a workstation or a cluster ? Did you try attaching a debugger to either code_saturne or Syrthes processes to see exactly where they are stuck ?

Also, you are using a modified version of cs_coupling.c, but I do not know why you are using a modified version, or what is changed.

Also, though I doubt it is related here, there have been a few changes fixes in the PLE library used to couple code_saturne and Syrthes, which might explain this.

In any case, these are quite old code versions, which have been retired for a while, and upgrading to current versions could probably help (at least for support).

Best regards,

Yvan
Fanny.DM

Post by Fanny.DM »

Hello Yvan,

I'm using a workstation. Unfortunately, I've no sudo rights onto this station, and can't upgrade any software.

Concerning cs_coupling.c, I'm using it mostly to synchronise time step between C_S and Syrthes (for future calculations with variable time-step in Code_Saturne).

If I want to run a calculation in debug mode, how could I make this without gui? As I'm working at home for the time beeing, I'll have to do this with scripts.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I'm moving the post to the "General Usage" section where it should have been.

You can compile the code as a regular user on your own account even if you do not have sudo rights (hoping you have all the necessary prerequisites).

For the debug mode, you need a separate install, with the --enable-debug configure option. For Syrthes, it is a bit more complicated to force a debug build).

Best regards,

Yvan
Fanny.DM

Post by Fanny.DM »

Thanks a lot.

I'll try to install the debug option and run a calculation before coming back to you.

Best Regards,
Fanny