Code_Saturne/Syrthes coupling

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Josuez

Code_Saturne/Syrthes coupling

Post by Josuez »

Hello,

Once again I am asking for your technical support.
I was trying to see if I could play around coupling Syrthes and Saturne but this happened :
Unmatched SYRTHES couplings:
----------------------------

SYRTHES coupling:
coupling id: 0
local name: "SOLID"

/home/rd-ap-palmco/salome/cfd/V8_5_0/SCFD_V8_5_0/modules/src/PRECFDSTUDY/src/base/cs_syr_coupling.c:898: Fatal error.

At least 1 SYRTHES coupling was defined for which
no communication with a SYRTHES instance is possible.
I am using the Salome CFD distribution (version 8.0.5) and tried to make a case as simple as possible : observe the natural convection for a copper-ish cylinder in a cylindrical air domain. The copper rod is heated at the base by a set flux and the air domain use free inlet/outlet. I'll append the relevant files.

I used the CFD_Study GUI to create the case, and got folders generated for both Saturne and Syrthes. I proceeded to use the GUIs to create and set each respective case.
- I added and edited the cs_user_coupling.c file to the Saturne SRC direction
- I configured the coupling in Syrthes GUI
- I checked the coupling_parameters.py file
And finally I ran the case with the results that ensue...

What did I miss ?
Attachments
couplage.tar.gz
(384.71 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Yvan Fournier

Re: Code_Saturne/Syrthes coupling

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

For a case as simple as possible, you do not need to use cs_user_coupling.c, just the GUI.

Did you run the runcase inside the case or the one in the same directory as coupling_parameters.py ?

Regards,

Yvan
Josuez

Post by Josuez »

As always, thanks

So, yes, I was using the wrong runcase.
After trying the right runcase (the one with coupling_parameters.py for those as challenged as me) I come across another problem. Here is an excerpt :
Coupling execution between:
o Code_Saturne [1 domain(s)];
o SYRTHES [1 domain(s)];

Code_Saturne

Version: 5.2-patch
Path: /home/cosmo/opt/SalomeCDF8_0_5/Salome_CFD-SCFD_V8_5_0-Code_Saturne-5_2-univ_d54f597c/modules/CFDSTUDY_v52/

Result directory:
/home/cosmo/Documents/Simulation/TEST/salomeCFD/couplage4/coupling/RESU_COUPLING/20200207-1806

Preparing calculation data

/bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/mpicc: not found
make: *** [exe] Error 127
Apparently it is searching for mpicc in usr/bin
But I installed everything through a conda environment and the relevant binaries are in the anaconda direction. How do I make it look in the right direction ?
Attachments
listing.txt
(3.72 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I am not sure, but if you installed binaries without recompiling the code, you might have issues with hard-coded paths, and worse, issues if the MPI library used by the compiled code does not match the one used.

For syrthes, the MPI path probably is set in your case in /home/cosmo/opt/SalomeCDF8_0_5/Salome_CFD-SCFD_V8_5_0-Code_Saturne-5_2-univ_d54f597c/tools/Code_syrthes-mpa_syrthes435qt5/arch/Linux_x86_64/bin/syrthes.profile.

You can try to edit this file to replace /usr with the anaconda path.

But if the MPI library does not match the one used for build, you might still have crashes later.

Best regards,

Yvan
Josuez

Post by Josuez »

Well yes, that would have been too easy

Salome CFD is a self building .run file so shouldn't it pack its own mpi binaries ?
How can I recompile them in such situation ?
I have just really been executing the run file in the already prepared environment in the hope it would pick the environment binaries/libraries
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

This is more tricky with MPI, because the Salome build does not include the MPI libraries, as this would also require including the compilers (MPI is source portable, not binary portable). And including the compilers is very tricky.

So if the versions are not aligned, it will fail. If things work by just changing a path, you may be lucky, but otherwise the best solution is to recompile both code_saturne and Sythes from sources (using the SALOME build as an option for prerequisites suc as MED file support).

Regards,

Yvan
Josuez

Post by Josuez »

That's what I was afraid off

Thank you for your help, I guess I will create a topic in the installation part of the forum because I tried installing them from source before but face problems I can't fix so far.

See you there and have a good day
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Ok, no problem. Using the Syrthes sources updated for SALOME (https://www.code-saturne.org/cms/sites/ ... _29.tar.gz), Syrthes install is not as painful as it used to be, in case part of the problems are due to this.

Best regards,

Yvan