Code_Saturne V6.0 GUI problems with Gaseous combustion

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Pablo

Code_Saturne V6.0 GUI problems with Gaseous combustion

Post by Pablo »

Hello everyone:

First of all I would like to congratulate to all the CS team for the new release, I am really in love with the new GUI.

Unluckily I have found some troubles when configuring gas combustion simulations, as when I try to configure the fluid properties, the following message appears in the terminal:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/code_saturne/Base/MainView.py", line 1368, in displayNewPage
self.Browser)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/code_saturne/Base/BrowserView.py", line 653, in display
return displaySelectedPage(name, root, case, stbar, tree)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/code_saturne/Base/Toolbox.py", line 136, in displaySelectedPage
thisPage = Page.FluidCharacteristicsView(root, case)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/code_saturne/Pages/FluidCharacteristicsView.py", line 365, in __init__
self.initializeWidget()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/code_saturne/Pages/FluidCharacteristicsView.py", line 398, in initializeWidget
t_oxy = self.mdl.getTempOxydant()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/code_saturne/model/XMLvariables.py", line 275, in _wrapper3
r = f(self, *c, **d)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/code_saturne/model/FluidCharacteristicsModel.py", line 423, in getTempOxydant
value = self.defaultFluidCharacteristicsValues()[ot_str]

...and I can't provide any data at this stage, so the simulation can be configured. I have noted this is related with the CS configuration with QT4, as I have checked to avoid this effect, I have to reconfigure the CS installation by forcing to the use of PyQt5 by:
./configure QT_SELECT=5
...but this means I come back to the former CS_5 GUI.

I also like the "old-fashioned" CS_5 GUI, but i'd like to keep the CS_6 GUI features, so, how could I compile the QT_4 version of the CS_6 GUI while avoiding the aforementioned message?

Thanks in advance to everyone.
Last edited by Pablo on Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yvan Fournier

Re: Code_Saturne V6.0 GUI problems

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

This seems to be a bug, so I'll try to fix it.

In code_saturne versions 5 to 6, the GUI can be built both with Qt4 and Qt5 (using QT_SELECT if both are installed), but the choice of Qt version should only change minor graphical style effects, not the version of the GUI you are using. The presentation changes from code_saturne 5.3 to 6.0 should appear both with Qt4 and Qt5. If you have some different behavior, I would suspect some installation issue (such as an incomplete install over an older install).

So if compiling with Qt5 fixes the issue, I recommend that. Qt4 is not supported anymore (it has even been removed from the main package repository of some Linux distributions such as Arch), and when Qt6 is released and we port code_saturne to Qt6, we will probably try to keep compatibility with Qt 5 and 6, but drop support for Qt4...

Best regards,

Yvan
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Dear Yvan:

Thanks for your answer.

You are right (as usual).

I have checked it is only possible to achieve the former CS_5 GUI with a CS_6 kernel when a CS_6 installation is made over a CS_5 former installation while forcing QT5.
This allow me to configure gas combustions with CS6 as the GUI does nos show errors in the configuration process.

If a CS_6 installation is fresh-made(with either QT4 or QT5) or re-installed (with either QT4 or QT5), the new GUI is installed and then, the errors I mentiond before in the gas combustion simulation configuration appears.

Is the CS5 GUI with a CS6 kernel a bad idea?
How could I check a CS6 installation is correctly made in order to discard installation issues in the CS_6 gui behavior I am talking about?

Thanks in advance.
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, mixing the GUI versons is a bad idea.

I just fixed a bug, and another was fixed a few days ago, explaining your issue.
You can either update your install from the code_saturne v6.0 branch on GitHub, or replace the files in the sources with the attached ones and reinstall.

Regards,

Yvan
Attachments
patch.tar.gz
(12.69 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Hello Yvan:

The patch works perfectly and there is not any GUI issues in the gas combustion configuration now. ;)

Thanks very much for your support.