Boundary Condition

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
wenhao

Boundary Condition

Post by wenhao »

In the boundary conditions section, for the exchange coefficient, is it means the thermal conductivity?
Currently, i am doing ventilation problem, for the composite wall material, I calculate the total heat resistance by using formula R=1/hA+L/kx then convert to overall heat transfer coefficient, U. Hence, i fill in the U value in the exchange coefficient column. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
Luciano Garelli

Re: Boundary Condition

Post by Luciano Garelli »

Hello,

When solving a thermal problem and you select as boundary condition "exchange coefficiente" you have to impose an external or reference temperature and the heat exchange coefficient (SI units W/(m2*K)), in order to get a flux based on the internal temperature
h = q/Delta T.

The thermal conductivity (SI units W/(m*K)) is a material property and is defined as the ratio between the heat flux and temperature gradient vectors
k = -|q/ grad(T)|.

You can check the user documentation sections 6.4.1 and 6.4.2, "Coding boundary condictions"

Regards

Luciano
wenhao

Post by wenhao »

Hi, thank you for your reply. If the boundary condition (wall) is made up of composite material, can I treat the exchange coefficient as overall heat transfer coefficient, U as it also has same unit W/m2.K?
wenhao

Post by wenhao »

I not sure about the exchange coefficient means convective heat transfer coefficient, h or can be treated as overall heat transfer coefficient, U?
Luciano Garelli

Post by Luciano Garelli »

Hello,

I think that the thermal conductivity in composite materials will be anisotropic, so I think that you will need to couple saturne with syrthes or use CS internal coupling in order to model the thermal conductivity correctly, but if you have an isotropic thermal conductivity and do you want to model the thermal resistance through the composite material (not the diffusion process), I think that you can use

h_eff = h_ext + k/t

Regards,

Luciano