Anason tutorial - Particle Dispersion in a Turbulent Pipe Flow - example files

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
roberto.bernetti

Re: Anason tutorial - Particle Dispersion in a Turbulent Pipe Flow - example files

Post by roberto.bernetti »

I try to do a summary:

according to the following post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2356&p=12932&hilit=particle#p12932
there is no "semiofficial windows binary" compatible with the tutorial in
http://code-saturne.org/cms/sites/defau ... ticles.pdf.

If a test is necessary, about the particle dispersion, before to introduce the actual production version (5.09) in a true "working environment" it should be fine retriving the information to comparatively asses the effort to
  • run the tutorial in the 5.0.9 version
Saluti
Roberto
Yvan Fournier

Re: Anason tutorial - Particle Dispersion in a Turbulent Pipe Flow - example files

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes I had forgotten that the updated tutorial requires at least version 5.1.

To adapt it to version 5.0, you would need to add an injection tube in the mesh, so as to have inlet boundary faces in the correct region, but that would probably require a finer mesh, and I have been unable to find details on the real experiment geometry/injection system...

Installung v5.3 or 6.0 beta on WSL woynd seem a good soljtion :-)
Regards,

Yvan
roberto.bernetti

I'm interested in the "How to" apply inlet particle boundary condition in 5.0.9 more than reproduce the experimental results of the tutorial.
Is there any subroutine template, or example for the application of particle boundary inlet for 5.0.9 to speed up the preparation of a working demostration?
If I'm able to have a better and quick understanding of the scope of the utililzation of code_saturne in this field, I'm going to make some thoughts about collaborating for the porting to the windows system :D .
Saluti
Roberto
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

In this case, instead of injecting particles in the middle of the domain, you can simply inject them at the main fluid inlet. The results will be a bit different since the turbulent flow is not "established" at that level and the "useful" length is different, but that is all.

To inject particles at a boundary, you can simply use the GUI. For each boundary zone, you can define Lagrangian boundary conditions in addition to Eulerian ones. For an inlet, set the number of "injection sets" (particles of different sizes at the same inlet for example) to 1 or more as needed.

Best regards,

Yvan
roberto.bernetti

Following your advice I'm going to use the GUI to define the inlet particle boundary conditions.
Contrary to the tutorial, I introduced, in the GUI, one more definition of boundary condition, an inlet boundary, in the "Definition of boundary condition" subfolder.
In this vay I am able to introduce the particle boundary condition by the GUI, but now the GUI set the boundary condition for the new introduced zone for the fluid too, for which the boundary condition were defined in the

Code: Select all

cs_user_boundary_conditions.f90
Does the user subroutine take precedence on the GUI settings, so I haven't to bother about to introduce a user law for the fluid inlet?
Saluti
Roberto
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Yes, you can mix the 2, but the user subroutine always takes precedence. The only exception is for the choice of physical and turbulence models (where the choice defines which variables are ued an cannot be modified by a user setting).

So you usually only need user subroutines for the more complex conditions and advanced settings.

Best regards,

Yvan