Turbomachinery+periodicity

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Robert

Turbomachinery+periodicity

Post by Robert »

Hello,

I'm trying to do a simple case using The frozen rotor model or full transient model and also use periodic boundaries. I created 2 cylinders and divided each of them into 10 pieces. So one piece would be the fixed part and one the rotational part. With full geometry I have no errors when I use The frozen rotor or full transient model, but when I try to use periodic boundaries I get this error: SIGSEGV signal (forbidden memory area access) intercepted!
I was reading in an older post from 2015 that it is not possible to run a turbomachinery model (eg. modelling only one part of the runner/guide vanes) and use periodic boundaries. Is it still not possible or am I doing something wrong?
Attached you will find the 2 meshes and case files. I'm using version 5.0.

Best regards,
Robert
Attachments
Test.rar
(148.38 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Yvan Fournier

Re: Turbomachinery+periodicity

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

There have been no recent changes on this feature, so the 2015 limitation still holds.

Depending on whether the periodic faces are adjacent or disjoint from the rotor/stator joining faces, a relatively simple change in the code could fix or issue or much more Would be needed. In any case it should stop more cleanly than a SIGSEGV so I'll check this in a few days (maybe not immediately, as the next two weeks are aleeady very busy).

Best regards,

Yvan
Robert

Re: Turbomachinery+periodicity

Post by Robert »

Thank you for the answer, I will wait for you to check it. About the small change in code, do you mean there could be an update or is it something I could do on my own (if so, could you give me few hints about where should I look, I'm not that much into programming)?

Regards,
Robert