LES in enclosed rod bundle not converging

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
kchinembiri

LES in enclosed rod bundle not converging

Post by kchinembiri »

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate buoyant flow in an enclosed rod bundle, but the simulation is not converging. Looking at the results it appears there are a couple of cells near the domain boundary where I have non-physical velocities. I have tried switching on EXTRAG for pressure, but the problem persists. Furthermore, I tried using least squares for gradient reconstruction but again same issue occurs. Checking the mesh quality criteria shows no obvious mesh quality issues within this region. (I noted the aspect ratio is rather large, tried improving it but to no avail).

Any help/advice you can give is much appreciated.

Many thanks
Attachments
location of non-physical velocity
location of non-physical velocity
overall_domain.png
listing.tar.gz
listing and setup file
(945.11 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Yvan Fournier

Re: LES in enclosed rod bundle not converging

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

How does the flow look if you visualize it with vectors ? This might simply be a local recirculation, though in this case it would probably move with time.

How does the time-averaged velocity behave ?

Best regards,

Yvan
kchinembiri

Re: LES in enclosed rod bundle not converging

Post by kchinembiri »

Hi Yvan,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have looked at the cross flow vectors and the region does not appear to be a re-circulation zone. Additionally, I ran the simulation for longer and it appears to move across the domain(please see attached). My courant number also peaks within this zone(Oscillates to values upto 2.3).

I had not started computing the averages, as initially I was hoping to run the case for a few cycles, before computing them.

Regards,
Attachments
Courant_number.png
Velocity.png