How to simulate the thermal transfer in solid directly in Code Satune

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
Laurent Bertrand

How to simulate the thermal transfer in solid directly in Code Satune

Post by Laurent Bertrand »

Dear all,

I am looking to modify some references file in Code saturne 5 to introduce the thermal diffusion in solid part without using another software such as Syrthes or another.

In the CS version 2.0, I could do it by modying the files:
-bilsc2
-covofi
-uselph
-ustsns

How can I do that with Code Saturne 5.0?Why this option to introduce solid part it is not developped by defaut?

laurent
Luciano Garelli

Re: How to simulate the thermal transfer in solid directly in Code Satune

Post by Luciano Garelli »

Hello,

In code_saturne V5 you can use "internal coupling". This functionality will allow you to have the fluid and the solid part. Search in the forum about this topic...I remember several threads.

Also, check the file "cs_user_parameters-base.c" in the EXAMPLE directory. Using cs_internal_coupling_add_volume() you will define a coupling zone between the fluid/solid zone and with cs_internal_coupling_add_entity() you will define with quantities are coupled in this interface, e.g the temperature.

Regards,

Luciano
Laurent Bertrand

Thank you for your answer,

I have check many thread bout this topic in forum but I am still lost. Could you please be a little more precise about what should be done:

- to use "internal coupling", should I use: Mobile mesh (Ale method) in deformation mesh???

- How to define the properties of the solid domain such as thermal conductivity, Cp?

Best regards
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

No, this is not related to ALE.

Check for "internal_coupling" in this example: https://github.com/code-saturne/code_sa ... ers-base.c

Also, as this is not yet available through the GUI, you need to use user subroutines (usphyv) to define Cp, and use geometric or group-based criteria to define a different Cp in the solid part. For simple cases, an MEI expression using geometric criteria in the GUI might also work. We will add a "zone-based" physical properties definition in the GUI before version 6.0 to make this easier, but for now this is the recommended solution

Regards,

Yvan
Luciano Garelli

Post by Luciano Garelli »

Hello,

I share a simple example using internal coupling. The case has two solid (diffusion) zone and one fluid (diffusion/convection) zone in the center of the domain with buoyancy,
test.0008.png
I hope this helps you.

Update: I don't know why the file was not attached. I post a link https://goo.gl/2eX277

Regards,

Luciano
Last edited by Luciano Garelli on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Laurent Bertrand

Thank you for your example and help.

I have tried a simple case without sucess. It seems that with our whithout defining the solid zone, I get the same results with velocity inside the solide volume.

I have many questions:
-The zone defined in cs_internal_coupling_add_volume() is a small coupling zone interface or the solid zone?
- Where I can find the usphyv file?

Could you pease send me your simple example?

Best regards
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

The volume zone identified should be the whole solid part of the volume.

usphyv is in cs_user_physical_properties.f90.

Regards,

Yvan
Laurent Bertrand

Thank you for your reply,

I have added some modifications such as a high viscosity and source term to block the produced velocity within the solid volume. I have just another question, how can I define the radiation properties of the interface?

Best regards,
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I'm not too sure about this part. We have not yet tested the radiation module in the context of a simulation with internal coupling, though we discussed this a bit. Recent changes in the internal coupling allow proper postprocessing of interface values, and should be a step towards enabling the combination of this model with the radiative module, but I do not think this is usable yet (we would like to make it usable by the release of version 6.0). I'll check with the colleague who worked on that part, when he gets back.

Best regards,

Yvan
Laurent Bertrand

Dear Yvan,

Did you get some news, from your colleague, about the way to introduce radiative properties on the interface? Do you thing, I can modify the source code to introduce this part? By the way, when will be developed the CS 6.0 version?

Best regards