simulation of a flow out from a nozzle with a free surface

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
kathi

simulation of a flow out from a nozzle with a free surface

Post by kathi »

hello

I m very new to CodeSaturne, so I search first informations for this problem:

I want to simulate a stationary flow problem: a jet (or beam) of gas coming out from a nozzle. The tube with nozzle is vertical to a plate and at some distance from it. The flow hits vertically on that plate and the streamlines are bended such that the flow leaves in radial direction. The gas is compressible. The flow is at rather high speed and turbulent. It is stationary with a free surface, the free surface is not known a priory. Around the flow there is nearly vacuum.

The plate is at much higher temperature than the gas and is cooled by the gas. What I want as a result from Saturne is the coefficient of heat exchange on the surface of the plate (depending on the radius).

I suppose (but I m not shure) that the flow and the solid-thermal-analysis can be solved sequentially (not coupled): first using Saturne to get the heat exchange coeff, then Code-Aster to solve the cooling of the solid plate.

Questions:

1 can this be simulated with CodeSaturne (I suppose yes)?
2 is it possible to calculate the coefficient of heat exchange on the surface of the plate which should depend only on the radius? Is this possible calculating the flow without thermal effects, or must I include thermal things in the Saturne-model?
3 can this be done with an axialsymmetric model?
4 is/are there a tutorials or examples with which I could start?

many thanks for your advices

kathi
best regards

kathi
kathi

Re: simulation of a flow out from a nozzle with a free surfa

Post by kathi »

can please someone of the experts anwer to my questions? It would be very nice. I m not sure until now if I can use Code-Saturne for my problem

kathi
best regards

kathi
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

I am not sure how you would need to model the free surface. The code has a compressible option, and can be coupled with the Syrthes code for conjugate heat transfer (not code_aster, which we couple only for solid deformation, not thermal analysis). Depending on the free surface/compressibility aspects, you might or might not be able to use the code for your configuration.

Computing the coefficient of heat exchange would require user subroutines for post-processing, but would be relatively straightforward.

We do not have "true" axial symmetric models, but you can build a mesh based on sweeping of an axial-symmetric mesh along a small angle, with 1 cell-thickness, and symmetry (or periodic) boundary conditions to simulate this.

There are no specific tutorials for this to my knowledge, so you need to start from the standard tutorials. Also check the user subroutine examples in the Doxygen documentation for those which might be useful (but you can do that at a later stage, to prepare postprocessing once the computation is running).

Best regards,

Yvan
kathi

Post by kathi »

Yvan, many thanks!

the project in question has been delayed, but I hope to return soon to the matter and then to use CodeSaturne

kathi
best regards

kathi