Running Code Saturne on Windows

Questions and remarks about code_saturne usage
Forum rules
Please read the forum usage recommendations before posting.
mhassab

Running Code Saturne on Windows

Post by mhassab »

Hello All,

Did anyone successfully run the code and obtained results on windows ?

What 3rd party apps I have to install beside those below ?
python
salome 7
paraview
Pyqt
Open MPI

Thanks,
Yvan Fournier

Re: Running Code Saturne on Windows

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

The Windows version of Code_Saturne installs all the is needed to run, so no need to install Python, PyQt, OpenMPI, ...

You will still need to install a program for meshing (for example SALOME), and one for visualization (either using PARAVIS from SALOME, or installing a separate ParaView version).

Regards,

Yvan
KJG

Post by KJG »

I am running the Windows (64bit) version on my laptop w/ Windows7 SP1. It installed and runs no problem. (Many thanks to EDF for a WINDOWS binary!) I use SALOME windows binary for meshing (save mesh as med file) and PARAVIEW as separate programs too...no problems.
mhassab

Post by mhassab »

Hello Guys, an update here. Yes I was successful running a case here too, one of the tutorial cases.

Actually the good thing is that I am running Windows 10 64bit as will with Salome 7.6 and Para view for viewing.

Thanks,
Attachments
Results on Windows 10
Results on Windows 10
stephio_maf

Post by stephio_maf »

Hello mhassab,

Did you manage to do a parallel run on Windows?
I get the following error message on a windows7 workstation for parallel runs:
:? "aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD, error 1, comm rank 0"

Stephane
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

What other error info do you have (listing, error*, ...) ?

Do you have user subroutines ?

Regards,

Yvan
jb_l

Post by jb_l »

Hello

I use Code_saturne on a daily basis on Windows 7 64 bits, with and without SP1 on 3 machines.
It works very fine on parallel mode.
No special tunning was made.

About working on Windows, does any body try or succed to couple Saturne and Syrthes on Windows?
Is it even possible to do that?
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

Coupling Code_Saturne and Syrthes is not currently possible on Windows, due to the way the codes are built: each code has its own packaging/build logic on Windows, and the Syrthes build probably does not include the PLE library.

If Syrthes were packaged with the PLE library, and built with the same MPI library (MS-MPI) as Code_Saturne (this might already be the case, but I ma not sure), coupling would be possible.

If someone is familiar enough with the Windows and Cygwin development environment to rebuild at least Syrthes on Windows, they could probably get the coupling running.

Regards,

Yvan
cktan22

Post by cktan22 »

Hi,

I am new to Code_Saturne. I have installed Code_Saturne 4.0.5 on Windows 7. I am trying to run this software by doing the tutorial - Shear Driven Cavity Flow, posted on the web page.

Everything was going fine as per tutorial but at the last step, in the Calculation and Management part, the solver seem like not running when i hit the button "Start Calculation". A blank sheet pop up, but nothing is shown. I leave it for few hours and it is still the same.

When i check at the shell, no script is running as well, unlike what has been demonstrated in youtube during calculation stage.

May i know what is happening? Is there any step i missed out?
Yvan Fournier

Post by Yvan Fournier »

Hello,

This is a bug which occurs rarely on Linux, often on Windows, and is hard to locate/fix... (as we never have it on our own machines)

Others have already mentioned this on the forum, but basically, you can:

- either close the white window and try again (maybe several times)
- in the case's RUNCASE directory, run the "runcase.bat" script directly (once you have "saved" with the GUI)

Best regards,

Yvan